Running Actinic 10 on MAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running Actinic 10 on MAC

I have a client that wants to use Actinic 10 on a MAC.

I'm aware there are PC emulators available, just wondered if anybody knew of the best one to use? And are there any other factors that need to be taken into account when running Actinic on a MAC?

Thanks

I'm aware of one called Wine, just wondered what most people use that they know for certain runs Actinic ok

Comment

Actinic is probably way too complex for WINE unless you're a real guru. I recall Gabriel Crowe reporting that he's run it so.

However it should run much more easily under a virtual Windows system. I use VMWare Fusion occasionally for this. Parallels should work fine too. Note that you'll need to budget for both the virtual system software and a copy of Windows to do this.
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Have been running Actinic Business on Mac Book Pro for the past 15 months under Parallels with Win XP as the guest O/S. Had teething problems initially but that was under 9.0.4 and the issues related to the setup. These have been ironed out & have not had any issues since. Currently on V10.0.2

People reckon Dual boot via BootCamp is better but you have to log off one system (windows or Mac) before logging onto the other, which is why I prefer something like parallels. With regards Parallels & VMWare Fusion, there is very little difference between them. However, as Norman had said earlier, you will need to factor in a licence for the guest O/s.

HTH

Nilesh

Comment

Thanks for all the advise everyone

Comment

I use Parallels 3 running XP Pro SP3; it's been running on an iMac for the last few years without problems.

Virtualbox is worth a look at. Being open-source, your client could try it on their Mac to see how it runs, without having to pay out for virtualisation software. They will need a full, legal copy of Windows however.

Comment

Originally posted by Sadcase View Post
              I use Parallels 3 running XP Pro SP3; it's been running on an iMac for the last few years without problems.

Virtualbox is worth a look at. Being open-source, your client could try it on their Mac to see how it runs, without having to pay out for virtualisation software. They will need a full, legal copy of Windows however.
              I use Virtualbox on my MacBook Pro 13", initially as it was free but I have become quite an advocate for it. I spent weeks fiddling around with WINE trying to get v10 to work but Norman is right, its really far too complex. If anyone gets it working I would love to hear from them.
              Benjamin Dyer
              CEO - SellerDeck Ecommerce Software for SME's

SellerDeck is the new name for Actinic Desktop

Have you tried searching the Knowledge Base?

Comment

Iv'e been running Actinic 10 on VMWare Fusion for over a year without any problems - in fact Actinic 10 seems to run better under Fusion than on any PC i've run it on.
                The only problem that I could possibly see (running this way) might be if you ever want to link to another PC or MAC to run Actinic Multi User (or Molends Multiple User Software)

Comment

Working...
                X