Single Product Per Page Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single Product Per Page Question?

Would it be somehow possible to have single product per page site design but at the same time have multiple products on a page?

For example when people search on google they get taken to the single item on a page but when just going directly to the site they can view the multiple items on the page?

I want to keep the multiple items on a page setup so it is easier for cutomers to compare products and prices but at the same time I want to have single product per page setup in order to be able to upload feeds to the google merchant centre. I have read that google only allow products being listed when the single item per page setup is used.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. . .!

Your question is one of design and layout not functionality, your section listing pages can be made to look however you want (MPP) for the compare part, the resultant page is then the SPP.

Comment

im not really sure what you mean by this ?

Comment

You're asking about a setup that you naturally get whichever of the SPP methods you choose, thus its just the look of the layouts used.

Comment

You would have main section with all similar products listed together. Under this section would be your subsections with the product in each one.
          That way you have single product per page at subsection level and multi product at the main section level.
          Hope that makes sense.
          Unusual Silver Jewellery
          Giftmill - Unusual Gifts
          Crystal Healing Jewellery
          Steampunk Jewellery

Comment

can anyone else please explain this better?

Comment

It would help if you could give more detail as to just how you want your products arranged in the catalog. One method would be to create a hierarchy like this:

Section 1
              - Product 1
              - Product 2
              - Product 3
              - SubSection 1
              -- Product 4
              - SubSection 2
              -- Product 5

Section 2
              etc...

Another possibility would be:

Section 1
              - Product 1 (Duplicate with reduced info)
              - Product 2 (Duplicate with reduced info)
              - Product 3 (Duplicate with reduced info)
              - SubSection 1
              -- Product 1 (Master product)
              - SubSection 2
              -- Product 2 (Master product)
              - SubSection 3
              -- Product 3 (Master product)

Section 2
              etc...

Comment

There's an SPP tutorial on my site, perhaps understanding that first is a good idea, it will be easier for you to understand after that. Alternatively provide us with a link to a page that does not do what you say you want, standard actinic does as you wish, so I think its a simple case of you not quite understanding at the moment. If you remember that every section in actinic equals a page on your website, it often becomes clearer.

Comment

Originally posted by drounding View Post
                  It would help if you could give more detail as to just how you want your products arranged in the catalog. One method would be to create a hierarchy like this:
                  i would like the sections arranged like this

Section 1

product1
                  product2
                  product3
                  product4
                  product5

Sub Section 1

Duplicate product1

Sub Section 2

Duplicate product2

Sub Section 3

Duplicate product3

etc

I believe you can rename the 'sub sections' of the main section as the actual product name and then include a photo of the product rather than a section photo....but this would cause a few problems such as not having an add to cart button until you click through to the product shown singly on the page etc.

With regards to using the duplicate product idea this sounds like it could work, does this have any disadvantages?

Thanks

Comment

This is standard functionality and I think it is the same as mentioned in the lower part of my earlier post. What can't you do?

Comment

not the most helpful of answers

Comment

Originally posted by JamesD View Post
                        not the most helpful of answers
                        ??????

i was going to add to this but it seems to me what ever way someone explains it you are not happy so i saved some wear and tear on my keyboard and just posted this

Comment

Probably because there is no answer. What you want is a bit of a can of worms.

You seem to want your product details to appear twice. Once grouped together so customers can compare. And again, each individually on a single page.

Now Google is by default going to index both pages (Google just indexes every bit of text it can see) and someone searching for say "acme widget" will probably get 2 search results that lead each type of page. You'd need to find a way to tell Google not to index your multiple product pages, but to follow the links to the SPP pages within.

Next problem. You want people using the site to see your multiple pages. If you do this via multiple Sections containing product info, each section containing a SPP product, the Actinic search won't take you to the Section level as it goes directly to the products. However people clicking through the Navigation will get what you want.

You may be best investigating using multiple products per page, each product having an extended info page that opens in the same window and uses a full overall layout. You'll need a way of providing a Google feed that only supplies the Extended Info pages.

Now the Actinic search will take you to your MPP items. Clicking one will give you a SPP view. You'll still have to find a way of stopping Google from indexing your MPP items and only indexing the deeper linked SPP ones.
                          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Working...
                          X