Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error returned from SMTP server (1: )

Hello,

I have new site which is almost ready. The Network Settings tests all pass and I have received the test message from the site.

However, when I try the online form the reponse is:

Error returned from SMTP server (1: )

I see (from previous threads on the same subject) that there are several possible answers, mostly to do with hosting, but hosting companies don't usually fix things for you. They tend to respond to requests to have things changed.

Has anyone who has encountered this come up with an answer or at least narrowed the area of investigation?
    Money Saving Eco Friendly Products | UK Dating | Love Horse Dating

First thing to try is the Network Test (Web / Network Setup / Test). Report what that returns.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Actinic Mail Test completed successfully

server: passed
      connection: passed
      sockets: passed
      communications: passed
      authorisation: passed

Test email received from the site

"This is a test email from Actinic Catalog"

Comment

Hmmm... The Network Test uses the same email details as the Contact Us, so it's not clear why that's not working.

We'll probably need to see the live site in case there's something wrong with the Contact Us form.
        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

OK, here it is:

http://www.ecomoneysaving.com/cgi-bi...CTION=SHOWFORM

BTW, it looks normal there, but there's code in the fields when using the link in the left column:

http://www.ecomoneysaving.com/acatalog/Contact_Us.html

Comment

yes had it before, recently actually.

Are you using smtp auth with user name and password? if so change to localhost. Some isp wont allow mail to be sent across the servers even with smtp auth.

Comment

sorry i fogot to add, localhost might fail network test but work on the live site.

IMHO its about time actinic looked at this whole email sending thing, as its possible to send order emails from actinic using smtp auth but the contact us form not to work. It depends on your isp mail configuration/spam setup

Comment

I had a chat with the hosting company. Here's what they said:

Hosting: Hello

Me: Hello James. I have a domain ecomoneysaving.com that has a site built with Actinic e-commerce software. The site contains a contact form which, when tested, returns this error: Error returned from SMTP server (1: )

Me: Tests using the site to send a test email back to me work, so any ideas why the form doesn't work?

Hosting: Is the form using the public relay on the server or are you authenicating emails that are being sent?

Me: Public relay I imagine. Should I be using authentication in the SMTP settings? The mail settings in the domain are the Rackspace default.

Me: SMTP server is set to localhost

Hosting: Either should work, but the public relays do sometimes see more issues that authenication

Hosting: Those relays are often taken advantage of and the admins have to sometimes rate limit those relays

Hosting: I would always recommend authenticating.

Hosting: If authenticating, you can use mail.xxxxxxxx.com

Me: Where in the CP do I set up authentication?

Hosting: That has to be configured on the application.

Me: ok, I'm in the application. Do I use an email address and password that I've previously set up in the CP?

Hosting: Yes

Me: When I use localhost as the SMTP server the first test works and I receive a test email, but the contact form doesn't work. When I use authentication, the first test doesn't work and nor does the form

Me: localhost and authentication - first test works, email received, contact form doesn't work

Hosting: There may be a problem with the contact form. If both methods work for one and not the other, I would recommend reviewing the code

Me: I'll take this up with the software vendors

Comment

OK

Did you upload after making the changes?

Is the email address specified in the business settings the same as the one you are using in network settings authenticate?

Comment

Originally posted by Darren B View Post
                    Did you upload after making the changes?

Is the email address specified in the business settings the same as the one you are using in network settings authenticate?
                    Er, no. I assumed the SMTP settings are transferred via FTP when the tests are conducted on the home PC. Is that not the case?

I'll check again later this afternoon.

Comment

Yes, with SMTP authentication on and with a site refresh the form works fine.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Comment

Working...
                      X