How can I hide fragments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I hide fragments?

Hi all, I've had a good look around both the manuals and the forums here but I just cannot find a way to hide a fragment. Basically I want the same functionality as the Product 'Hide on website' tick box - i.e. if ticked, the fragment is greyed out in the content tree and not displayed on the site.

I dont want to move the fragments onto hidden brochure pages as doing so would mean they are not in the right place in the content tree - as I cant seem to add a brochure page to a product section or sub-section (should I be able to?)

Can anyone help me please?

Many thanks.
    Paul.

There is no fragment hide facility (unless you temp delete), you could add your own using a variable to set whether to hide or not and using a blockif to check the content of that variable. There's some great block if tutorials in the forum if you fancied a go at that.

A section and a brochure page are 2 different types of pages, you can't put one inside the other, you can however add fragments to sections, although that would get you no nearer to a solution.

You could create your own custom product layout to use as a dummy fragment, use sections with products then, that will give you the hide facility also.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
      ...you could add your own using a variable to set whether to hide or not and using a blockif to check the content of that variable. ...

You could create your own custom product layout to use as a dummy fragment, use sections with products then, that will give you the hide facility also.
      Thanks very much for the reply Lee, yes I can see how the user variable would allow me to not display the content, but unfortunately I would not be able to tell which fragments are hidden as they are not greyed out in the content tree. I have fragments scattered throughout the product sections...

http://www.wyliefinewines.co.uk/news...ines_1966.html

Your idea for making another product layout sounds good - do you know if there is any way to change the content tree icon for these so I can tell which products are actually fragments?

I guess that these fragments would then show up as search hits using the inbuilt search/quick search scripts? So is there a way to prevent products from being shown in the search results?

Thanks for your time, Paul.
      Last edited by eskeys; 15-Feb-2011, 08:47 AM. Reason: added link

Comment

Hiding fragments...

Hi Paul & Lee.
        I find that by far the easiest way to do this is a dummy product with the info in it. I don't know of a way to change the icon (OK being lazy I never bothered to look into it).
        If you want to you can always change the look of the product/fragment (progment?? fragduct??)with a new layout.
        Steve Griggs.

"People in business often miss opportunities, mainly because they usually arrive dressed in overalls and looking like work."

www.kitchenwareonline.com
        www.microwave-repair.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Steve G Griggs View Post
          I find that by far the easiest way to do this is a dummy product with the info in it.
          Thanks Steve, Yes it does seem to be the way. If only we can change the content tree icon in some way..

For any others looking for this, if you can name your Progments is a particular way, then Norman shows the way to prevent products from appearing in the search results by editing the search script as shown here: http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?p=289662

Comment

I'm not aware of a way to change the icon or remove a product from the search, i think whatever solution you go with will be a compromise, there isn't a perfect solution. Using the delete facility and then undeleting will probably be the easiest.

Comment

Yes temporary deleting would be easier but it removes the facility to purge and compact the databse which we seem to have to do on a fairly regular (say 100-200 changes) basis.

I'm going to look at using renamed products and Normans script changes I think. Thanks again. Paul.

Comment

You can still database compact, it's the purge you can't do.

Comment

I create a brochure page on the system which I hide then I move the fragments I want hidden at any time into this area and then back out again when I need them. I do this with our Xmas delivery details etc so I don't have to recreate every year.
                  Donna

Chief bunting supplier to Take That!

Comment

Working...
                  X