Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing CSV in 10.0.3

Hello,

Among my many issues with 10.0.3 at the moment I am trying to export my products, then edit the product choices as I need to add the same choice to every product.

I exported the catalog, opened it in excel, copied the choices from one product to another, saved it then tried to import it. I get an error "no fields were found in the first line of the file"

The option "does the first record contain field names is unclickable and set at yes, not sure if that would make the difference. Otherwise I will have to manually create the choices for every product (currently around 250)

Thanks

The simple answer is this: http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=44781
    but in practice open the file in Notepad and check that the commas are in the right places.

Take a read through this thread: http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=41008

Comment

Thanks Duncan, I am indeed using excel 2007 so I will give it a try in something else. Looks very complicated in notepad!

Thanks

Comment

Another way is to copy the choice then keep pasting it to all the other products. Using the cursor keys and ctrl-V should get it done in no time.
        Unusual Silver Jewellery
        Giftmill - Unusual Gifts
        Crystal Healing Jewellery
        Steampunk Jewellery

Comment

Hello Andy,

Thanks for your reply. Its not the choices its the component with choices which wont copy and paste. The choices have different price values attached but each product will have this choice. Its for a embroidered clothing site so this option is artwork position, for example artwork position 1 is left breast, back etc. artwork position 2 is none, left breast (+£3.00), back (+£3.00) etc.

Comment

Open the csv file in Excel and before editing it, remove the odd blank row you'll find around row 10-12 ish.
            Then, find the first column that has no data in it (empty all the way down through the rows of course) and copy a dummy character into all the cells of that column (we use an 'n').
            Save.
            This should sort it out.
            Kind Regards
            Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

Hi, All

Thanks for this info.

I tried this and still had the same problem.

When I ignored the bit about the 'n' or some chr in the first full empty column and just removed any blank lines, your soliution worked!

Thanks again.
              Ian Henley

Comment

Sorry to bring this topic back to life but I have recently started this again after the website becoming shelved.

I tried to use the csv import but couldnt get to grips with it, every time I imported something went wrong, products moved or deleted so I am wondering if there is another way to add the same choices to lots of products?

Basically its an embroidered workwear site so every product is going to have printing/embroidery and position as an option. I would need to be able to change/delete choices as certain products dont work for all the options. eg: a vest isnt going to have "Right Sleeve" as an option

Is there any easier way to do this than the csv import?

Comment

It's possible (although can involve a fair bit of initial setup work) to make Excel workbooks that have a data entry worksheet and a separate import worksheet that you then save and import.

The import worksheet basically creates the Actinic import based upon selections and data entered on the data entry workbook. This saves having to get too involved in the nitty gritty after it has been setup and tested.

You can then create different versions of the workbook for different variations of product type.

Comment

Hello Duncan,

Thanks for getting back to me. Think Im either going to have to do it the csv way or the old fashioned way! Luckily the options arent likely to change anytime soon but I do have around 250-300 products!

All sounds a bit beyond my knowledge

Thanks

Keith

Comment

Working...
                    X