Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow site in Internet Explorer

Hello chaps,

Please excuse this issue if it has been covered in technical depth before, but our site, www.telescopehouse.com seems to be running very slowly when viewed with IE8 compared with Firefox and I would appreciate it if any of you Guru's could offer advice.

When first loading our site homepage it seems to "draw" all of the graphics in from both sides of the screen and if you click on any of the "best sellers" or new product links, it seems to do the same thing. (CGI Scipted items perhaps??)

We have only just changed host from Actinic to a dedicated server with UKFAST, and the speed of the site was a major factor in our decision to transfer.

I have read some previous posts relating to Actinic V7 (We are using V10.0.3) with regard to menu structure and a fix that Norman had done. Unfortunately, my experience with Actinic is very limited and my understanding of "techno speak" even more limited, so I did not understand it

Our server with UKFAST is using LINUX (a choice made after reading many of the helpful posts here) with a Plesk control panel, if that helps.

After spending a couple of days exploring my ignorance of website hosting and the language used by support teams, I feel I am ready to further embarass myself here.

Best regards, Ian

Originally posted by Batestfastard View Post

After spending a couple of days exploring my ignorance of website hosting and the language used by support teams, I feel I am ready to further embarass myself here.

Best regards, Ian
    Hi Ian

The front page contains over 1Mb of data hence the slow loading of the page, 50% of this is made up in the navigation script Act_section_tree.js, there are better ways to get the navigation these days rather than loading that big file. The slow loading of the page allows you to see the page being built in IE8

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
    SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
    Custom Packages

Comment

You have the YahooSections code in your overall layout but are not actually using it.

Lump of code:
      Code:
      <actinic:variable name="JavaScriptArray" value="All Data From All Sections" />
      <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
      <!--
      function YahooSections(ar)
      {
      var strIDs = '';
      for (var i=1;i<=ar.length;i++)
        {
        if (ar[i].sURL != null)
          {
          strIDs += '<a href="' + ar[i].sURL + '"><span class="actxxsmall"><b>' + ar[i].sName + '</b></span></a><br />';
            {
            if (ar[i].pChild)
              {
              for (var j=1;j<=ar[i].pChild.length;j++)
                {
                if (ar[i].pChild[j].sURL != null)
                  {
                  strIDs += '<a href="' + ar[i].pChild[j].sURL + '"><span class="actxxsmall">' + ar[i].pChild[j].sName + '</span></a><br />';
                  }
                }
              }
            }
          strIDs += '<br />'
          }
        }
      return strIDs
      }
      //-->
      </script>
      Can probably be deleted.

The first line above is loading a 460Kb JavaScript file which will be severely impacting first time visitors page load times.
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Originally posted by malbro View Post
        Hi Ian

The front page contains over 1Mb of data hence the slow loading of the page, 50% of this is made up in the navigation script Act_section_tree.js, there are better ways to get the navigation these days rather than loading that big file. The slow loading of the page allows you to see the page being built in IE8
        Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for the quick reply! Am I right in thinking that the "better ways" are covered in detail elsewhere? In knowledgebase articles etc.?

Best regards

Ian

Comment

Hi Norman,

Thanks (I knew I could count on you!). Again, reminding everyone of my ignorance, can I just delete everything that you list in "Lump of Code" ?

Best regards

Ian

Comment

Yes - but snapshot first just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by drounding View Post
              Yes - but snapshot first just in case.
              Hi Duncan,

Thanks for the advice, I've learned to live by that rule

Best regards

Ian

Comment