Compacting database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compacting database

Having a strange problem with database compacting in V10.03 LAFA.
    On running compact database I get the following error message
    ...Driver's ConfigDSN, ConfigDriver, or ConfigTranslator failed.
    Please use Explorer to investigate the problem"
    This is happening on a windows XP SP2 machine.
    I have V9.05 installed as well which compacts perfectly on our original website.
    Strange thing is Actinic 10.03 LAFA is in use on a Vista and a Windows 7 machine as well and compacts without any trouble.
    I have made a snapshot and sucessfully imported and compacted it on the win7 machine, on re-importing it to the original XP machine-no luck.
    I have looked at the ODBC setup (bearing in mind I'm no expert on databases and ODBC), and run the repair option-with no change. The ODBC setup says that it recognises Actinic 10 as a data source.
    Now wondering if I need to delete V10.03 and re-install, but I don't want to unless I'm sure of two things:
    1) I can't fix it any other way.
    2) The re-install will cure the problem.
    Any suggestions apart from compacting the database and repairing via ODBC would be appreciated.
    By the way, as far as I can see the drivers must be installed properly as 9.05 compacts without any errors, and the ODBC setup doesn't seem to be showing any errors......
    Steve Griggs.

"People in business often miss opportunities, mainly because they usually arrive dressed in overalls and looking like work."

www.kitchenwareonline.com
    www.microwave-repair.co.uk

I have this problem on a client site at the moment and will be doing a reinstall soon to hopefully get the OBDC driver installed correctly.

You might want to read this: http://community.actinic.com/showpos...97&postcount=6
    In my case the MS Access driver is not even installed.

Comment

I have experienced the same problem, and liaising directly with Actinic Service Desk resulted in the recommendation that I completely un-install all versions of actinic (I still have versions 6,7,8 and 9 as well as 10!!)

I decided to live with the problem for a while and hope the error will go away!!
      http://www.consultancymarketing.co.uk & http://www.website-packages.com

Comment

Uninstalled V10 and re-installed, deleted all leftovers, and cleaned out leftovers in the registry, imported known good snapshot. Still wont compact the database. This means I have too take snapshot home, import into V10 at home, compact then make a snapshot......slowly going a bit mad.
        Theyr'e coming to take me away HA HA.
        And it's just this one machine out of FOUR that I have installed V10 on ....
        Any ODBC / Acess database experts out there? I know enough about the subject to know not to tinker too much.
        Steve Griggs.

"People in business often miss opportunities, mainly because they usually arrive dressed in overalls and looking like work."

Comment

Still can't compact database!

More on the subject:

Even after updating to V10.04 the problem persists. Looking in the ODBC setup all seems to be fine...V9 still compacts fine. Compacting on another machine works OK with a snapshot from the machine with this problem. But when it's re-imported to the original machine no luck. Still says the ODBC drivers are not installed.

Gremlins.
          Steve Griggs.

Comment

Error Compacting Database

Originally posted by Steve G Griggs View Post
            Having a strange problem with database compacting in V10.03 LAFA.
            On running compact database I get the following error message.
            This is happening on a windows XP SP2 machine.
            I have V9.05 installed as well which compacts perfectly on our original website.
            Strange thing is Actinic 10.03 LAFA is in use on a Vista and a Windows 7 machine as well and compacts without any trouble.
            I have made a snapshot and sucessfully imported and compacted it on the win7 machine, on re-importing it to the original XP machine-no luck.
            I have looked at the ODBC setup (bearing in mind I'm no expert on databases and ODBC), and run the repair option-with no change. The ODBC setup says that it recognises Actinic 10 as a data source.
            Now wondering if I need to delete V10.03 and re-install, but I don't want to unless I'm sure of two things:
            1) I can't fix it any other way.
            2) The re-install will cure the problem.
            Any suggestions apart from compacting the database and repairing via ODBC would be appreciated.
            By the way, as far as I can see the drivers must be installed properly as 9.05 compacts without any errors, and the ODBC setup doesn't seem to be showing any errors......
            I have the same problem with the latest version on Sellerdeck. I installed Sellerdeck on a Windows 8 machine with the same database and guess what? No errors on compacting. The previous machine was a Window 7 Vista PC. Very frustrating. I would like to know what causes the compact database error to crop up on a machine that was working ok for several months then all of a sudden - bingo - the o'l database compaction error shows up. What is changing?

Comment

Working...
            X