Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searching By Clicking on Product Title

Hi all,

i have a requirement to be able to click on the product title and then a list of all products with the same title appear as a search.

I have 2 custom properties called "Artist" & "Release Title". These two properties are used to display the product description.

I would like to make the Artist name of every product clickable so that by clicking on it the site then displays all products from that Artist.

Is there a way that I can change the URL code of an advanced search? I am thinking to turn the Artist property in to a clickable Link which invokes the search URL Code to perform a search on the artist name that the user clicked on.

Any help on where I can start with this would be greatly appreciated!!

Mario

the URL to my site is http://www.wsrecords.com/acatalog/test

Comment

Hi all,

can no one possibly help with my request above?

thanks

Mario

Comment

It will be possible i suspect because you can create static URLs that use the search engine so that you land on a page as though you searched on that term. The trick is to search for a term on your site and note the formation of the URL ie how it comes together to search on that term. Once you understand that, you know the format and can then start to form the link you want using the search term from the name. You will not be able to use the product name variable i suspect, instead use php on that variable contents and split it out accordingly and formulate the new product name with the added functionality.

Sounds a bizarre idea on the surface though, why you'd not go with a conventional shop by method if you think this is important is a little beyond me at this stage. Also how you going to relay to people they can click on it and what it does. KISS would be my best advice, don't overthink things, stick with what people use and know already.

Comment

Thanks for the reply to this post Lee.

Right, So i know the search URL and I can see that all I need to do is modify it so that the SS="Artist" bit in the string is modified.

I will play about and try to edit the design and create a URL which has the SS="ARTIST VARIABLE" so that afectively when the URL is clicked, it uses the contents of the ARTIST VARIABLE for that particular product and produces search results based on that Artist.

Do you think that this will work?

Mario

Comment

I think it will work yes, whether it will be useful is up for debate. Be good to see it in action to decide on that.

Comment

Reading this thread made me think of my customers looking at a product and being able to click something that said 'show me similar products'. I haven't looked at how search works but I can imagine that it would be a case of feeding a preset phrase to search based on something in the product name/description/whatever.

Justin
              -
              Justin Hill (Half-to-three-quarters-baked Mac expert, laptop evangelist and vintage Hammond enthusiast)
              http://www.cka-net.com

Comment

Related products will do just that.

Comment

Originally posted by drounding View Post
                  Related products will do just that.
                  ... then there's a lot about related products I don't understand. Related products as I thought I knew it was a manually maintained list in the 'marketing' tab that causes links to other products to appear under the product's add to cart button.

Justin
                  -
                  Justin Hill (Half-to-three-quarters-baked Mac expert, laptop evangelist and vintage Hammond enthusiast)
                  http://www.cka-net.com

Comment

They are manual but they are or can be for similar products - just not automated.

Comment

Working...
                    X