Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V10 Limits

Hi,

What are the true working limits within Actinic with regards to the number of products, sections, subsections , choices permutations etc that Actinic can handle comfortably.?

Wrote an sql script to extract selected products from ePos into a hierarchical file & then loaded it - No problems. Compacted the DB & restarted. Now when I start to move sections around , at times Actinic fails prompting for new product & section IDs before crashing. Odd occasion, I get the message "OutOf Memory". Thus losing data that is moved.

Products are shoes & organised in sections of its own with a master product defining the Size as attribute with choices/permutations of real products that are hidden. Overall I have 12K+ products, 2200 sections, 6600 permutations, 1000+ attributes. Understand that quantities of quite a few products would be Zero when the particular size is sold out. However, would prefer to leave it in as it may be topped up.

Version of Actinic used is Business V10.0.4, upgraded this afternoon. Problem also occured in V10.0.3, hence my reason for upgrading.

Many thanks in Advance.
    Nilesh

Nearly as many shoes as my beloved.
    www.devotedly-discus.co.uk

Comment

Are you using a 64bit machine with more than 4Gb memory?
      Have you compacted the database?

I have a client who has a very large store of similar size to yours that works efficiently in v10 with large memory awareness on a 64bit machine with (I think) 8Gb of memory.

I suggest you contact Actinic support to discuss the size of the catalog and the appropriate machine and configuration to use. Actinic have done a lot of testing on larger stores and v10.

Comment

Thank You , Duncan - You're spot on.
        Even though I compacted the DB and all that, I've overlooked the hardware.

Currently running Actinic on a MacBookPro under Parallels with Windows XP SP2 and 1GB memory pre-assigned. Clearly, enough to manage orders but totally inadequate if you want to amend the structure/products. Exercise I'm carrying-out at the moment is to leave the web-products as it but replace the components, attributes & hidden products with those from ePos so that stock control can be maintained.

Will have to resurrect the Dell Power-edge server I've got sitting in the corner of the shop this weekend. Believe its got 4Gb of Ram.

Thanks
        Nilesh

Comment

Update.

Resurrected the Dell Power-edge server. Config for it is Windows XP Pro -32Bit with Sp3 and 4Gb Ram installed. Also changed the boot.ini file to include the /3GB switch.
          Does it make any difference? - NO, still crashing with Out Of Memory when moving sections around.

My question now is this - Is it worth moving to Windows 7 64bit and increasing RAM to 8GB , which is Max for this server?
          Having seem numerous posts about issues with 64Bit Win7, I am a bit reluctant.

Any advise/Suggestions, please. in the meantime, I'll raise a call with support.

Many Thanks in advance
          Nilesh

Comment

Certainly speak to support about this because they have done a lot testing with large sites and large memory code in v10.

Comment

Thanks Duncan - I've raised a call this afternoon with support and sent in a snapshot. They will try it on various hardware & come back in a day or so.
              Will see what happens.
              Thanks , Nilesh

Comment

Running a larger size shop with constant stock additions, I'd be very interested to hear the findings, so please keep us posted

Comment

Update:

Both Support & Development could reproduce the error, even on a QuadCore Win7-64Bit PC with 4GB Ram. So it wasn't hardware limits we were hitting.

Root cause was Product IDs containing underscores instead of hypens that Actinic didn't like. As few sections that contained these names were moved at chunk at a time, Actinic prompted for a new name every time & eventually failed with OutOfMemory.

An internal bug has now been raised. In the meantime, I've started to remove the offending products & moved Actinic back onto my MacBookPro.

Moral of the story is to avoid underscores in product references.

Nilesh

Comment

Working...
                  X