Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Site files over 10GB - recommendations

Hi all,

I have a site that altogether with all product images and audio total a site size of about 11GB.

does anyone have any recommendations on upload & site snapshots with actinic?

Basicaly, my actinic designer keeps crashing when i try and do a site snap shot. it used to do it fine before i added all the images and audio. So is there a way that I can build the site but have the products link to the images and audio externally?

This should also mean that I can use Actinic to upload the site pages and another FTP client to do the images and the audio.

Any advice appreciated

Mario

Originally posted by Mazydizzle View Post
    Hi all,

I have a site that altogether with all product images and audio total a site size of about 11GB.

does anyone have any recommendations on upload & site snapshots with actinic?

Basicaly, my actinic designer keeps crashing when i try and do a site snap shot. it used to do it fine before i added all the images and audio. So is there a way that I can build the site but have the products link to the images and audio externally?

This should also mean that I can use Actinic to upload the site pages and another FTP client to do the images and the audio.

Any advice appreciated

Mario
    One way would be two sets of files, one small set used in Actinic then a second set that you ftp to the site to overwrite the small ones, need to ensure that Actinic does not over write the files with a publish. Not ideal but gets round the problem.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
    SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
    Custom Packages

Comment

thanks for the reply,

let me explain a little better.

i have 10,000 products. each product has a small image file and a small sound clip which on average is 1MB

Is there no way of importing actinic products with a URL as the image and sound clip?

that way I should be able to upload them seperately. I know that with product images, if the directory does not exist it will not import the product. there must be a way round this surely.

it gets me thinking that actinic was not really designed for very large product volumes.

Mario

Comment

Is there no way of importing actinic products with a URL as the image and sound clip?
        If you're using a Hierarchical Import, you can import user defined variable values. Store your URL's into text variables and add them to your product layouts as part of the desired link.

If you're using a Flat File import, then you can't import user defined variables but may be able to use some existing fields for this purpose. See the Help re "Valid Fields For Importing" to check what's available.

There are two fields designed for embedding a link. "Detail URL Or File" and "Detail Link Text".
        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Norman, thanks, i'll play around with that.

right now, i dont know whether it is my webserver that is struggling to handle the number of files, or actinic.

has anyone any experience in uploading a website with 3,500 files totalling around 10GB ??

Thanks all

Comment

Hi Norman,

that idea has worked a treat. Only thing is, the URL seems to be case sensitive, which is annoying. Even if i take actinic out of the equation and just try putting the URL to the sound clip directly in a browser.

Do you know how to get round that? is it something on my server do you think?

Thanks

Mario

Comment

Good servers (e.g. Linux ones) treat different case letters in file-names as different things (which they are). The domain name bit of an URL is often case insensitive (domains are handled by the worlds DNS servers - not your own server) but the directory and file-name parts have to be exact.

You may be able to work around this with an htaccess directive. Google for something like htaccess case insensitive for help there.
              Norman - www.drillpine.biz
              Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Working...
              X