remove dreamweaver design - change overall page layout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

remove dreamweaver design - change overall page layout

Hi - I recently needed to unregister my dreamweaver designs with actinic. I followed the instructions (http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=45379) but when it came to ensuring none of my old designs were selected in the 'site options' area, two of the selections (Overall Page Layout and Brochure Page Layout) are both set to "use parent" with my old designs selected...

How do I change the 'parent' layouts (ie, remove my old designs so I can completely remove my old designs from Actinic)???

I've removed my designs from all the other layouts - but if 'use parent' is selected, this must indicate that my designs are selected somewhere else in the program - but thats the part I can't work out (and no end of searches on this forum, and Google haven't helped either!)

Help!!!

Find the selectors in the design library containing the setting and remove the options from on the values tab. You can also go into advanced theme config on the page layouts and make sure it is not selected in there. Perhaps easiest of all is to just select a different theme and apply that.

Comment

Yes I've already done that - thats the whole point... but because 2 layouts are set as 'use parent' its clearly the parent I need to change or that will still be using my design! But the problem is, I can't deselect it (or at least I can't fathom out where to find it in order to deselect it!)

Comment

A layout is set against a selector, whether you want to accept that fact or not is a different matter. A selector can also by default be set to use parent, so the default layout applied to the selector will cascade down the levels at which it is set. If you have a selector that has a layout applied to it, whether that be a set layout or a layout via the use parent facility, it's impossible for that layout not to be included on the values tab of the selector. If you don't want it on that selector, then remove it from the values tab, it won't be there any more.

You wrote:

two of the selections (Overall Page Layout and Brochure Page Layout) are both set to "use parent"

Both of the things you mention in the brackets are selectors, findable in the design library, they will both have use parent selected as they do need to cascade their setting down through the levels. Think of a selector as a drop down list, something you 'select' from. To have something in the list as a 'selection' it has to be on the values tab. So if you remove it from the values tab, it will no longer be selected, its actually impossible to be. A selector only allows things added to it, to be selected. Your external design will also be a layout within your design library, try the outer group towards the bottom, it can be deleted from there too once it is not selected in any 'selectors'.

Comment

Okay... based on a reply from Actinic Support, I selected a totally new 'Theme' and now none of the selectors have my design against them. Great.

Currently the two previously offending layouts (Overall Page Layout, and Brochure Page Layout are set to "use parent (=Basic - nav Bar in Left Sidebar) and 'use parent (=Basic - Page List in Left Sidebar) respectively... so NONE of the layouts use my old designs.

However, in page view, my design is still there (ie, when I look at the site and upload to the webserver, its still my design I'm seeing) - and in Design | Library, I can't 'delete' the old designs (delete is greyed out)

Something is definitely wrong - a software blip, gremlins, or I'm completely missing something. I'm not thick - but I'm not an Actinic expert either.... I CAN follow instructions, and I haven't chosen not to accept that the layout is set against a selector (I have no idea why you used that phrase as it makes it sound lilke I'm stubornly refusing to see what I'm being told... thats not the case at all).

This is the most frustrating issue I've had to date with Actinic. If I take a snapshot of the site and send it to an Actinic support representative they would see for themselves - I've suggested I do this, and they haven't replied - so I'm really not getting very far....

Comment

If you've got a support contract and already in contact with actinic, just follow that up, i'm sure they will sort it. The values you say are in the selectors do not sound like layouts to me, but in the absence of no information on the value tab of these selectors and more to the point what you have done in that area (as per instructions), hard to help blindfolded.

It may just be a simple case of your preview files have not updated and all design wise is in fact OK, just the preview files are wrong. Your selectors seem to have the wrong values though and you seem to have not ventured into them to do anything about it. Get to grips with them would be my best advice, if indeed it is something you can fix. It may well need support on the case, my instinct says it's you misunderstanding though if i am honest.

Comment

Working...
            X