Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will actinic run on server using suPHP ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will actinic run on server using suPHP ?

Will actinic run on server using suPHP ? Does anyone know ?

I am tempted to switch to SuPHP for added security and compliance with other sofware on the server... but I dont think Actinic will work because of the restricted file permisions suPHP requires.
    Arka Tribal Jewellery

There is a previous thread saying it should be Ok http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=46465 and there's a long thread of yours from June last year where suphp and suexec are discussed and pinbrook say they use both without problems.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Yes, I implemented SuExec without problems last year.

Didnt look closely at SuPHP at the time.. I am now..

The specs for using SuPHP are stated as;

..... all files and folder permissions need particular permissions (644 on files,755 on directories, and that any php_values in .htaccess files will result in Internal Server Errors).

acatalog is supposed to be set to 777 which is why I'm asking, but it seems that from the thread you pointed me to that it is ok... so thanks.
      Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

My host installed SuPHP around 12-15 months ago and have not had any issues so you should be fine.

Below is an extract of the email I was sent by the host prior to making the changes.
        With suphp it will not be possible to make insecure permission settings to scripts such as 777 world writable. Any PHP files should be set to 644 (or less) with directories set to 755 (or less). This is a much more secure hosting environment and any changes to permissions or ownership required on existing scripts will be handled by us as part of the work.

Any files currently set to 777, 757, etc. will be changed to 755 as a safe global change, you can change them to 644 from there, if you wish. This only changes files and directories that are currently set to group or world write permissions and ignores any other files. This changes more than php files, to be the most safe and consistent change, in case you have any CGI files or other that are too open (and insecure) with its permission. Finally, any files that need to be set to "read only" should be set to 444 or 400.
        Darren Guppy
        Golf Tee Warehouse
        Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

Yes, Actinic usally runs fine with acatalog permissions set to 755. There have been some troublesome hosts in the past where 777 was needed but I haven't seen much sign of these cases for quite some time.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

thanks for the replies
            Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

Working...
            X