Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

backup strategy

Hi All
    Im looking for some advice on what might be the best backup strategy for my ecommerce Actinic V10 site. A regular snapshot was fine but now I am using videos the size of the snapshot is becoming too large, especially as I like to keep plenty of older files.
    I would be interested to hear peoples suggestions on a good, sound strategy. My current snapshot size is approx 300Mb.
    Thanks in advance.

A Snapshot contains all the site files so you'll end up backing up all those video files every time you Snapshot, even though they haven't changed.

Consider using quality backup software to make a set of incremental or differential backups of your entire system. The first backup will take some time but subsequent ones will be finished in tens of minutes. This type of software only backs up changed files so your videos won't add to backup time after the first run.

I use Acronis True Image Home.

And, of course, backup to NAS box using at least RAID 1. So the backup drive has some redundancy if one of its drives fails.

NAS boxes live down a length of LAN cable so you cpould place it well away from the main system so hopefully a flood / fire, etc. don't take out both. No point backing up if you can't be sure that your data is safe.

Portable USB drives only contain one disk which isn't really a safe place to keep precious data.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

as above and

There are many NAS drives out there one i have been happy with and have a couple are the buffalo link stations, with various raid options and plenty of capacity.

As norman said, our NAS is down the end of a LAN so hopefully a bit better protected, buffalo link stations are also capable of backing up to other link stations so you can ensure extra redundancy.

Darren

Comment

Thanks Norman, didnt realise it was as easy as that. So, bottom line, as long as I can install Actinic and recover the full contents of Site1 folder, Im sorted?

Comment

Absolutely. That and every other file on your system is safe.

P.S. A few hours ago I killed one of my test sites. No idea how. After a few minutes puzzling over what I'd done without finding the problem, I cranked up Acronis and replaced it with yesterdays complete copy. Took about a minute.

Comment

Ok Norman, they say that immitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I have downloaded the software, want to recommend a good NAS drive?
            Thanks again
            K

Comment

Originally posted by kakshaks View Post
              want to recommend a good nas drive?
              Thanks again
              k
              buffalo............ http://www.buffalotech.com/products/...rage/business/

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/...-small-office/

Comment

As the other guys have said.
                We only take snapshots whenever anything is changed in the site itself; if it's just product data or orders that are different each day, we just backup the database at the end of the day.
                Of course, that doesn't include any new images or other files, so a snapshot would be necessary.
                All data is present on the PC, copied to the RAID 1 NAS in another room and also copied to a portable hard drive and removed from site at the end of each day - an Iomega eGo.
                The NAS is a Qnap.
                Both been reliable.
                I take Norman's point about the portable drive being only one HDD though ....
                The idea of using Acronis daily is very good - may well do that ourselves.
                We do the Acronis thing for the whole PC, so if the drive karks, we can have the OS back up and running in about half an hour.
                Kind Regards
                Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

Like Sean we back up the databases using Jan's free software and have it running every hour, it only makes a backup if the site has changes and finds all sites if running multi site,

You still need a snapshot when changing something on the site, so can normally get away with just one a week
                  Chris Ashdown

Comment

Thanks Chris - didn't know Jan had free software - I'll check that out as it would save us the tedium of daily backing up!
                    Kind Regards
                    Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

Can only find a backup tool for the orders database Chris - is there one for the whole database? Could you (or someone else) point me in the right direction - tks?
                      Kind Regards
                      Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

A good NAS Drive?

I work from 2 locations and have:-

1) My newest system (this May). A Synology Diskstation DS411J bare unit that I added 3 Samsung F4 EcoGreen 2Tb drives to. That gives me around 4Tb of RAID 5 storage. Enough storage for a lot of backups and I can also backup movies from my PVR without worrying too much about the space used.

2) Older location. An IoMega StoreCenter iX2 with 2 x 1Tb drives in RAID1.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Williams View Post
                          Can only find a backup tool for the orders database Chris - is there one for the whole database? Could you (or someone else) point me in the right direction - tks?
                          Thats the one Easy Orders Backup, logs the whole database in a zip file
                          Chris Ashdown

Comment

Thank you Chris ;o)
                            Kind Regards
                            Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

Working...
                            X