Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

size of drop down box for choices

Hi All

Some of my products come in lots of sizes.
    I have the size choices listed in a drop down box..
    However the drop down box is not long enough to contain my list of choices and a scroll bar is being added. For example this black tunnel XT01black.

http://www.arka-shop.co.uk/acatalog/...tml#aXT01black

The problem is that on a casual glance of the sizes available by clicking on the 'choose size' dropdown.. doesnt show the biggest sizes.... (Unless you scroll)
    Does anyone know how I change the height of the dropdown box?
    I looked at the AttributeList and ComponantList in Design view but cant find the code that makes the maximum height of the drop down. Anyclues please?
    Arka Tribal Jewellery

Originally posted by feemish View Post
    Hi All

Some of my products come in lots of sizes.
    I have the size choices listed in a drop down box..
    However the drop down box is not long enough to contain my list of choices and a scroll bar is being added. For example this black tunnel XT01black.

http://www.arka-shop.co.uk/acatalog/...tml#aXT01black

The problem is that on a casual glance of the sizes available by clicking on the 'choose size' dropdown.. doesnt show the biggest sizes.... (Unless you scroll)
    Does anyone know how I change the height of the dropdown box?
    I looked at the AttributeList and ComponantList in Design view but cant find the code that makes the maximum height of the drop down. Anyclues please?
    Normally appears if you set the size option if there are two many items to fit in specified size. Try the class settings though I see this is one of Normans 'NorPrice'

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
    SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
    Custom Packages

Comment

This isn't Actinic. It's standard HTML behaviour for SELECT tags. You can change it by adding an e.g. size="25" attribute to the select tags.

Look in the Library / Layouts for Choice Lists / Drop Down Choice List / Click here to edit list layout settings / Start of List. Look for:-
      Code:
      <select name=
      Amend to be (leaving rest of line intact):
      Code:
      <select size="25" name=
      Changing the 25 to suit.

Repeat for Permutation Lists / Drop Down Permutation List / Click here to edit list layout settings / Start of List.
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks very much Norman and Malbro, I'll have a go at that shortly. Cheers
        Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

Hi Norman,

Unfortunately, changing the drop down choice list and permutation choice list as described seems to make the drop down list permanently display as 25 lines..

ie: its no longer a drop down that expands on clicking but a long list (25 lines) permanently.. this is not good looking especially seeing as some of my items only have a few choices.. meaning for those items there is lots of blank space underneath (the drop down is permanently expanded to 25 lines)

Curiously in the design preview window.. the list behaves exactly how I would want it to online... Ie clicking on the dropdown displays all the choices without a scrollbar ?!? However clicking 'preview page' in a browser and the choice list is truncated and the scrollbar appears.

Any other clues ?
          Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

I see..
            Internet explorer 9 is not adding a scrollbar and is displaying the entire list of choices as I want... all good

However
            Firefox 6.0.2 is adding a scrollbar after about 20 lines.

Looks like this might be a browser issue that we cant control?
            I've been googling but cant find any way of disabling the scrollbar.
            Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

Ooops. Was answering you via a tablet computer and didn't test it out. Unfortunately, size="nn" makes nn lines visible before any scrollbars are added and doesn't set the default size of the drop-down area as I'd hoped.

There doesn't seem to be any easy solution for this. Just have to hope your customers are savvy enough to scroll down.

Comment

yes thats right... and no there doesnt seem to be a way.. not that I can find anyway.. oh well thanks for the help.. and yes.. hopefully my customers will realise there is a scroll bar.. hopefully...
                Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

Yes, I had a google too. The best answer was from http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5...t-box-dropdown and note the comment "The drop-down is an application-level control, not a client-level control. (sadly)". Which means that it's browser specific.

This is also the reason that select boxes often appear on top of dynamic menus as they're not really in the rendered HTML but are sort of sitting "above" in the browsers UI.

There are solutions but they are very complex and basically involve replacing the SELECT tag and its OPTIONs with a UL list, some CSS to style it and some JavaScript to set the required result for posting. Sledgehammer sized way to fix something that basically works as is.

Comment

I think I'll live with it then... thanks for the help.
                    Arka Tribal Jewellery

Comment

Working...
                    X