Canonical Tag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canonical Tag

I have noticed some of our related product urls have started showing in search instead of the proper url example

http://www.retro-sweets-shop.co.uk/c...1450&NOLOGIN=1

Should be

http://www.retro-sweets-shop.co.uk/a...-gift-jar.html

I assume the canonical tag would fix this, I have seen some code on the forum but all the code I have tried gives coding errors.

Can someone shed some light please.
    Retro Sweets Shop

V11 has introduced a no follow tag to the marketing lists, you could use that or you could block your cgi-bin from the search engines completely if not used in your navigation. There is also info in the forum to make marketing lists use plain URLs, i think Gabe posted it a couple of years ago. I'd go with the plain URLs solution, a 5 minute trawl of Gabe's posts would find it.

Failing that show us what you have done and we can take a look and correct it, 'i've done it and doesn't work' is a bit of a woolley post. Show us the info you followed, show us the code changes you made and provide us with a URL to the page where it is not working. We can then take a look and let you know what is wrong.

Comment

The reason this is happening is because Google is picking up the best seller link that goes via the cgi-bin.

The best way to avoid this is to block the search engines from the cgi-bin. It's a single line of code in a .htaccess file.

I'm pretty sure the code has already been posted in the forum. I'll see if I can find it.

Mike

Edit: OK. It's easiest to do in the robots.txt file. See http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=29224
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

@Lee

I didn't change any code I just added related products through the marketing lists. I will look through Gabes posts to make the related products there own url.
        Thanks

@Mike

I will block the cgi bin accordingly
        Thanks
        Retro Sweets Shop

Comment

I would still like to know the code for implementing a canonical tag for each section.
          Retro Sweets Shop

Comment

Originally posted by jim25 View Post
            I have seen some code on the forum but all the code I have tried gives coding errors.
            Originally posted by jim25 View Post
            I didn't change any code
            What does the above mean then?

Comment

Ah I see what you mean

ok i tried this

<actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22BrochurePageID%22%20%2f%3e%20%3e%200" >
              <link rel="canonical" href="http://www.domain.co.uk/<actinic:variable name="BrochurePageURL" />"/>
              </actinic:block>
              <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SectionID%22%20%2f%3e%20%3e%200">
              <link rel="canonical" href="http://www.domain.co.uk/acatalog/<actinic:variable name="SectionURL" />"/>

Which showed errors

Then I found this

<link rel="canonical" href="<actinic:variable name="CatalogURL" /><actinic:variable name="SectionPageName" />" />

Which again showed errors

I have been placing the code before the head tag.
              Retro Sweets Shop

Comment

It wants to be within the HEAD tag as i understand, not above it, add it where you had it and then show us your HEAD area of your code, i suspect the position of it is just wrong, that's all.

Comment

I meant before the closing </head> tag

The coding error does not show until I refresh website

it says

The "SectionPageName" variable has been placed in the "Outer Layout For Silver Theme" layout but it won't work there

My Code
                  <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
                  <html>
                  <head>
                  <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%22Contact%20Us%22" >
                  <title>Contact Us</title>
                  <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%22Site%20Map%22" >
                  <title>SiteMap</title>
                  <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%22Terms%20And%20Conditions%22" >
                  <title>Terms and conditions</title>
                  <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%22Search%22" >
                  <title>Search For A Sweet</title>
                  <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%21%3d%20%22Contact%20Us%22%20%7c%7c%20%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%21%3d%20%22Site%20Map%22%20%7c%7c%20%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%22Terms%20And%20Conditions%22" >
                  <title><actinic:variable name="PageTitle" /></title>

<actinic:variable name="BaseHref" />

<actinic:variable name="MetaTags" />

<actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22IsP3PPolicyUsed%22%20%2f%3e" ><link rel="P3Pv1" href="<actinic:variable name="P3PFullPolicyLink" />"></actinic:block>

<link href="actinic.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

<style type="text/css">
                  body {
                  background-color: <actinic:variable name="Palette3" />;
                  }
                  </style>

<actinic:variable name="JavaScriptFunctions" />

<link rel="canonical" href="<actinic:variable name="CatalogURL" /><actinic:variable name="SectionPageName" />" />

</head>
                  Retro Sweets Shop

Comment

Instead of:

Try:

<actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%22Section%22"><link rel="canonical" href="<actinic:variable name="CatalogURL" /><actinic:variable name="SectionPageName" />" /></actinic:block>

Comment

As usual Lee your knowledge of Actinic has fixed my problem, I can't thank you enough!!!
                      Retro Sweets Shop

Comment

Working...
                      X