Fragments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fragments

Is there an idiots guide to Fragments anywhere? I have searched through the help files and the manual and nothing makes sense. I was under the impression that they kind of worked like pages, but I can't see how on earth you work with them.

Using the default fragments that are there, I've gone in and added an image and some text. Nothing happens. What originally happened was that I got around 6 copies of the image I used for the front page. However since flipping over to the Content Tree panel and deleting the image from there they have disappeared, along with the image that was on a fragment under the Home section. This is odd as the details for the image are still there.

Further to this if you click on the Products button, nothing happens, but if you click on Store Top you get the products page and then when you click on the Products page it's now working.

This product is driving me to despair, especially as I have to get my wife's site up and running in less than 3 weeks.

To me a fragment is just like a product except it has no product reference and you can't buy them. ie you place the fragment where you want them and they display the content you enter.

Check the layout of your fragment as this controls the what and how of what gets displayed.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Hi.

That's what I've tried. Using the left hand content tree I went in and chose a test picture and added some text. I tried various options under the layout section but nothingchanges. Nothing under page preview and nothing if you view the page under the Web option.

Comment

Where are you using the fragment? Like a product it needs to be on the home page or in a section or brochure page.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

@ wulfstan

I was much like you when I first started using the software, I suggest you did as I did and download the user guide and advanced user guide.
          Retro Sweets Shop

Comment

Hi.

Have both and neither make any sense. Going to make the site in ***** for now and will come back to trying to get my head around this. Can't understand why you can add an image to fragment & text but nothing happens, you can't see it.

Admin: alternative cart name removed per forum rules.

Comment

If you post some screen grabs we can see how you're trying to use your fragment etc. and then help you sort out what's going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfstan View Post
                Is there an idiots guide to Fragments anywhere?
                Wulfstan,
                Have you looked at Lee's tutorial on this page:
                http://www.websitedesigned.co.uk/act...hure-pages.htm

Your description of your issue leads me to believe you had remove elements from a layout template (there are many) for the fragment, thereby removing the code to display text and images.

I'd recommend you avoid the design tab, stay in the content tab, create/add some fragments to ANY page and selectively change that individual fragment layout (the layout template that controls how the title, text and image etc is displayed) and see if you can get any text etc to display.
                Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
                Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
                SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

The wife helped out in the end. I was kicking off that it had all messed up. She said to just do a restore as it fixed an issue I had months ago. I did, expecting that all that would happen was that it would take back to the fragments with the same image in it... it didn't. As it restored and saw a brief flash and it looked like it was doing what I'd asked it to do.

It did. Once loaded the fragments we working in the way I thought they should of based on what I'd read. I then tried playing around with them, sure enough it was working. Change an image, add some text, change the layout, it all responded. No idea what had happened. If it was corruption it was some odd sort.

Comment

Make sure you compact the database regularly, especially when making changes.

Comment

Working...
                    X