Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Other Info Prompt Error Message? (IE9, Opera)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Info Prompt Error Message? (IE9, Opera)

I'm getting close to launching a personalisation feature on a greeting card store I work on, but there's a bug stopping me moving forward.

Please see the page I'm currently working on: http://www.cardoons.co.uk/acatalog/C..._Cub_Card.html

In Internet Explorer 9 and Opera, when clicking the buy button the page is refreshed with the following error message and the prompt box becomes red.

The following product(s) can not be added to the cart.
    You can find the error description(s) by following the link(s).
    • Christmas Cub

It is asking for text to be entered into the prompt - but there is text in the prompt. Would anyone have any idea as to why this only happening in these browers? I'm more concerned about IE9.

The other strange issue is that in IE9, the Free Personalisation tab doesn't show any content - whereas it does in Safari, iPhone Safari, Chrome, FF, Opera, and all earlier versions of IE!! On this prototype: http://www.adaptdesign.com/misc/cardoons-tabs/tabs.html both tabs function properly in IE9... would anyone have any ideas at all? Greatly appreciated!
    Adapt Design & Advertising
    www.adaptdesign.com

Cardoons.co.uk - Cards With An Inflated Personality
    www.cardoons.co.uk

You have a huge JavaScript personalisation.js that's monitoring keystrokes and altering the contents of this textarea.

When creating the textarea, you have declared a value attribute (value="") and textareas don't use value attributes. This may be confusing jQuery's val() method. Also there's a maxlength="1000" which again isn't needed.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Hi Norman,

That's correct, the JS file allows the user to type in their own greeting into the two boxes which is passed into the prompt, which then appears on the invoice (this is working well with Firefox etc). I have tried putting a prompt on a product page that does not feature the two-tab design, ie on a product page that does not include personalisation.js, but the same error still happens in IE9.

Thanks for your two suggestions, I've made those changes although this doesn't affect the issue.

I've disabled the prompt for the weekend so that the page doesn't have any errors, but will make it live again on Monday to try and iron out this issue.

In the meantime... if anyone has had any experience with this IE9 bug, any comments or input would be a great help. Many thanks.
      www.adaptdesign.com

www.cardoons.co.uk

Comment

I managed to overcome the 'tab not displaying in IE9' issue by reinforcing the second tab to display as 'block' when a click is detected on the Personalise Card tick box via jQuery, I guess IE9 was ignoring this with the CSS tabs.

However I'm still not having any joy with the prompt unfortunately. By applying the prompt to another product (http://www.cardoons.co.uk/acatalog/F...tmas_Card.html) and leaving out the tabs etc, I can see that the error is not due to the personalisation JS I have running on the link in my original post.

I tried to find another Actinic-built site that features prompts on products but after looking at around 10 sites it seems prompts are not too common. Is anyone out there using prompts on their products, do they work in IE9 or does it return an error? I'm beginning to wonder if this is an Actinic bug?
        www.adaptdesign.com

www.cardoons.co.uk

Comment

The standard Actinic Other Info prompts work fine with IE9. Tried using a V10 site.

Far more likely that your code isn't browser agnostic.
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks for letting me know. I'll have to do a process of elimination with the code until I find the culprit I guess, fingers crossed...
            www.adaptdesign.com

www.cardoons.co.uk

Comment

Not having much luck with this unfortunately... Norman, is there anything at all you can think of that may be causing this error to arise in IE?

If I use the standard Actinic buy button code on the Standard Card tab (tab 1), IE gives the error where the prompt highlights red. The prompt isn't needed in this tab so as a solution I've used the 'add to cart from anywhere' link for the buy button on tab 1: http://www.cardoons.co.uk/acatalog/C..._Cub_Card.html This works fine in IE and every other browser, using the code you advised in another thread which includes pre-determined Other Info text which is fantastic, thank you.

The buy button on the Free Personalisation tab (tab 2) uses the standard Actinic add to cart code because customisable prompt text needs to be passed. Oddly, clicking tab 2's buy button has *no effect* in IE/Opera, but in all the other browsers this will successfully add the product to the cart and pass the prompt message at the same time. (With IE it's strange that this button will result in an error on tab 1 and do nothing on tab 2, when it's the same code appearing in two DIVs which just toggle between display: none and display: block...)

I suppose my question is, is there any way I can pass the contents of the prompt into an Actinic variable at the click of the buy button, which would then be used in an 'add to cart from anywhere' Other Info URL? This will result in some lengthy URLs but if it works, that's what matters. On the second tab I really don't want to have to say "Sorry IE users, you need to use a different browser to personalise your card" as IE is the most popular browser amongst this website's users...

Any advice or solution greatly appreciated!! Thank you.
              www.adaptdesign.com

www.cardoons.co.uk

Comment

God, I hate trying to read other people's code.

Anyway. It looks to me as if your problem is because you've closed the form before the submit button. This would explain why the simple call to the cart script executes but not the form submit version.

</form> </div></div> <div class="secondtab"><div style="float: left; width: 320px; height: 425px; margin: 0; padding: 0; background: url('polar_bears_christmas_card_msg_large.jpg') no-repeat;"><div id="outputA">Your top message here.</div><div id="outputB">Your bottom message here.</div></div><div style="float: left; width: 320px; text-align: left; margin: 0; padding: 0;"><h1 style="color: #666; margin: 0px 0px 10px 0px; padding: 0px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-weight: bold; font-size: 20px;">Christmas Cub Card</h1> Aaaaawwwww! How can you resist a cute bear cub soundo on mum's back? Cardoons Christmas cards are so unique they're poles apart from all the others. People just can't resist them.<br /><Br /><p style="display: none;"><span class="actrequired">Quantity:</span><input type="text" name="Q_CC104CC" size="4" value="1" class="form_input_general" /></p><table width="320" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="59"><span style="color: #F5911E; font-size: 20px;"><Actinic:PRICES PROD_REF="CC104CC" RETAIL_PRICE_PROMPT="Price:"><span class="cardoons_product_price"><font color="#F5911E"> £2.99</font></span></Actinic:PRICES></span></td><td width="70"><span id="RemoveIfOutOfStock_CC104CC" class="ActinicRTS" > <input type="image" name="_CC104CC" alt="Add to Cart" src="button_buy_me.gif" /> </
                Mike
                -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Mike - I can't thank you enough for pointing this out. Moving </form> after the input tag caused an error with Actinic, but made me think "where exactly does the form tag START from anyway?". It turns out it was hundreds of lines of code before where it should have been, meaning all of tab one and tab two were encompassed in the form needlessly. I'm working over the top of someone else's code so didn't give it a second thought.

Moving the opening code for the form to the start of tab two fixes everything, it's working in IE and Opera and not giving me the red prompt error either - it's adding the message to the cart and all is working fantastically. Thank you so much, you've put an end to my nightmare!!
                  www.adaptdesign.com

www.cardoons.co.uk

Comment

I'm glad to hear you've got it sorted. I did suspect that just moving the closing form tag wouldn't be enough on it's own, life is rarely that simple, but it seemed to fit the symptoms so well that I was pretty sure the answer was somewhere in that area.

I was also impressed with what you've done with the functionality so when looking around I figured the best place to look was in other areas rather than your code. That and the fact that I get completely lost with anything other than basic javascript.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Working...
                    X