Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Search Results

Hello Everyone,

I have been looking through the forum and cannot find what Im looking for (although Im sure its been asked before)

Without adding lots a additional or hidden keywords to the product description, is there a way to make the search results display extra products?

Say if Im selling groceries, someone types "apples" and I want it to display all the apple related products that may not be called "apples"

ie if the product was called granny smith, without adding "Apples" into the product description?

and then if they type "fruit" for it to display these products too? Am I missing something?

Thanks

Keith

Hi Keith,

I'm pretty certain there's no alternative method by default in v10. The nature of search requires an index first from which to search from, and you would have to populate this initially with additional keywords before the results you seek would be returned.

The new search in v12 is much improved as it now searches on more fields including your META data. However, even with this you would have to supply the relevant data somewhere in your site for it to work with.

Comment

Hi Paul,

thanks for getting back to me, yes I assumed Id need to specify somehow that apples=fruit etc. but wondered of there was an easy option Im missing?

Will I need to just add a "Tags" heading, then list the tags I want them to be related to? Should they be hidden as I dont really need the customer to see it, but I heard search engines dont like hidden content?

Thanks

Keith

Comment

Take a look at this thread, in particular Norman's suggestion in post no. 4:

http://community.sellerdeck.com/showthread.php?t=52345

Does that help any? Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to add anything as my knowledge in that area is sadly lacking compared to Norman's

Taking the discussion outwith of Actinic, I agree that Google et al could penalise you in their own search rankings for hidden content, as they might perceive it to be a black-hat SEO technique.

Personally I've always tried (as far as possible) to write naturally and freely, and just try to include as many of my most important keywords in my titles and descriptions as possible, whilst trying to avoid too much repetition if I can.

Comment

Hello Paul,

no problem, thanks for your input! I did look at Normans post but I didnt understand it! And Im not sure its what Im after?

I think Ill just need to add words to the product description, just not sure if it should be hidden or visible?

Thanks

Keith

Comment

Personally I would make it visible. For example:

"Our range of fresh summer fruit includes these juicy, red apples, with popular favourites such as Granny Smith and Golden Delicious"

No hidden content = no problem

And please don't laugh at my product description example... hee-hee

Just work your preferred keywords into your titles and descriptions in as natural a way as you can, even if it seems slightly corny! Search will then index it all and return your desired results.

In the above example, that simple sentence will direct customers looking for any of the following to your product page:

Fruit
            Fresh fruit
            Summer fruit
            Apples
            Red apples
            Fresh apples
            Granny Smith
            Granny Smith apples
            Golden Delicious
            Golden Delicious apples

So you'd have pretty much covered all the bases with a single (albeit slightly twee) statement

Comment

PS: there is of course nothing to stop you experimenting with a third-party search add-on to your site, which could prove more useful?

Comment

haha, no thats perfect, but very cheesy! I was trying to avoid a serving of cheddar with each product (although apple and cheese is good!) but seems like the easiest way for now!

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Southwest Test View Post
                  Take a look at this thread, in particular Norman's suggestion in post no. 4:

http://community.sellerdeck.com/showthread.php?t=52345

I think He mentions that the content below KEYWORDS is not uploaded, if you look at a previe of the page and the source the words plased after KEYWORDS are not there. I was messing around with this over the weekend, I think he mentions that it is only for actinics internal search

cheers, lee
                  http://www.novadetox.co.uk

Comment

Yes, it's the Actinic internal search Keith was referring to at the top of the thread

Did you make any headway with this, Lee?

Comment

AH! I see,

so anything under KEYWORDS isnt shown but is indexed for internal search. Might be better than my way!

I wasnt using extended info so I popped the additional keywords in there and then added

<p><actinic:variable name="ExtendedInfoText" /></p>

to my product layout.

It displays the keywords though. Ill have a think about if I wanted them displayed or not!

Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                      X