Missing import fields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing import fields

Hi - why can't I update the new BRAND field via Flat-File import ?

I thought the simplest way to do this would be to do the Google Exports, then fill in the blank fields (brand, UPC etc) and then import. But NO, Actinic does not seem to have made the fields available. Why not ?

Also would it be too much trouble to sort the import fields into Alphabetical order ?

This is so frustrating. The other import/export system is far from user friendly.
    Surely a simple flat-file import should be possible to update these new fields. I can see no good reason as to why these fields are not available.

Jez
    Last edited by Benjamin Dyer; 03-Oct-2011, 03:15 PM. Reason: removing misleading info and bad language

Hierarchical imports are not as daunting as they look and are a very powerful feature of Actinic. It is certainly worth the effort to learn how to use them. You only need to use the sections headers and columns as required. One of the reasons they are required for custom variables is because the scope of the variable is not limited to product but can also be section and site etc.

The Brand has been implemented similar to a custom variable and as such cannot be imported with a flat file.

Agreed it would have been easier for a user to be able to use a flat file import but Actinic have been busy developing lots of other features for v11 that I expect have taken preference. Features such as online account management, online order tracking and single use coupons to mention just a few.

Comment

I can't see how using Hierarchical is easy to update 4000 products with 100 brands?

Comment

Why do you think it is easy by a flat file then, they'd essentially be done in an identical environment either way?

Once you understand hierarchicals, you can work with that every way in which you can a flat file, it just has more power and thus scope for you to do things with.

A spreadsheet is a spreadsheet whether it has a hierachical or a flat file opened in it.

Comment

Surely you will be filling out your ONE FIELD with a formula not manually? so how does the position of that field have any bearing on anything?

I fully agree with you that there should be better ways in which to insert data, but if you was looking for v11 to solve that issue then I think you missed the whole point of the release.

Comment

here's another unhelpful reply:
            we do a lot of work with hierarchicals (that's a booger to spell....) and the first thing we do is insert an incremental numerical column far left, then we can re-organise, sift and sort at the drop of a hat without the cold gut-wrenching fear of losing the original data integrity.
            So easy, even I can do it.
            Kind Regards
            Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Williams View Post
              here's another unhelpful reply:
              we do a lot of work with hierarchicals (that's a booger to spell....) and the first thing we do is insert an incremental numerical column far left, then we can re-organise, sift and sort at the drop of a hat without the cold gut-wrenching fear of losing the original data integrity.
              So easy, even I can do it.
              Fab tip Sean, great idea, thanks for sharing, literally seconds to switch between formats then.

Comment

Thanks for that Tip, Sean. It is very useful indeed.

Comment

Don't forget about the flat file converter program.

That's how I took a hierarchical export, flattened it out (which was a bit of a pain but just took a few formulas and data filters), updated brand and UPC, ran it through the flat file convertor and reimported. Took a bit of figuring out (and thank goodness for snapshots!) but much easier than manually updating the 6000 or so products on the site.

But I like Seans idea. Wish I'd thought of that.
                  Elysium:Online - Official Accredited SellerDeck Partner
                  SellerDeck Design, Build, Hosting & Promotion
                  Based in rural Northants

Comment

Hi Goz - THANKS for the helpful reply. Very useful and I shall give it a go.

Comment

If I were you Rookers, I'd use Seans method.

Export a hierarchical file, put a column before column A and number it 1 to x, add a column header for brand into the Product definition row, update all products (re-sorting will help here to get all the products together), sort back into original order using the inserted column, delete inserted column, import back into Actinic. (If I understand Sean's post correctly?)
                      Elysium:Online - Official Accredited SellerDeck Partner
                      SellerDeck Design, Build, Hosting & Promotion
                      Based in rural Northants

Comment

I also place an id in the first column. I then split the file into Product and Section by sorting on the headers. I then cut and paste these parts into other workbooks and then trim the number of field columns to the bare minimum that are needed.

When all done copy everything back into the first sheet, sort and you're ready to save as csv for importing.

Be very careful however if you have any fields with preceding zeros - make sure you rather open Excel and then import the data from the file rather than open the csv file directly - you can then set the field column data format for each field rather than let Excel choose for you.

Make sure you snapshot lots and always compact the database after importing.

Comment

Hi Goz and Sean - that method is very good. I am onto it now. Inserting a coloumn in column A as an index is genius.

MANY THANKS.

Comment

I think Sean is currently holding the 'Tip of the Year' award with that, so darn simple, just like all the best ideas always are. When i think of the faffing i have done with advanced filters to do that before, i actually judge myself for being so thick and not coming up with that.

Comment

Many thanks that is Helpful, Duncan.

Comment

Working...
                              X