Partial Design Snapshots Fail in v11.0.1 and 10.0.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partial Design Snapshots Fail in v11.0.1 and 10.0.4

I am a big user of Partial Design Snapshots (PDS) but they are not working correctly in v10.0.4 and v11.0.1 as they used to do.

In v8, v9 or in fact v10.0.2, I could create a PDS by going to Design - Export Specific Design Elements. I would then choose say a particluar layout and nothing else and create the snapshot. On importing in those releases I would go to Snapshot - Import Site (not Import Design) and the snapshot would import and only update the specific layout.

Now in v10.0.4 and in v11.0.1 if I create a PDS in the same way it cannot be imported in the same way. It fails with an error saying it can only be imported by going to Snapshot - Import Design, which then messes up the current design and does not just update the single element in the snapshot.

Can someone else please test this?

I have recently upgraded client sites from v10.0.2 to v10.0.4 and others to v11.0.1 and this is causing untold problems in maintaining my client sites after upgrading. I can no longer send PDSs for clients to import as before. I cannot therefore update their sites without a full snapshot which is not feasible or having to provide long winded instructions which are prone to error.

Eh! All my V10 and V11 add-ons are delivered via Partial Site Designs and installed via File / Snapshot / Import Design. No problems reported.

If you use WinRAR to open the PSD, you can see a file Act_DesignExport.txt (usually the only file) within it. Look at this in Notepad and you should see that it only contains the Variables and Layouts that you chose when making the PSD.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

If I open the snapshot it contains the correct info but I can't import it without going to Snapshot - Import Design. I used to be able to import by going to Snapshot - Import Site.

The specific problem when doing import the design (on my custom site) is that when importing it says the Content Categories have been removed. Previously importng as a site instead it would not do this.

PS - it does this even when the PDS only contains an image as a file added at the end.

Comment

I just tried a default site in v11.0.1. I created a PDS which only contained a single image file. I then imported it and it trashed the default design. Interestingly Actinic also crashed after trying to apply another standard theme as well.

I can repeat this every time with a new default site and a PDS with just a single image file.

Comment

it trashed the default design
          If you give the exact steps you used, I'll try it on a default site here. I'll also need to know what gets "trashed" for you.

P.S. I don't use Content Categories (and not sure many other people do) so there may well be an undiscovered problem in that area.

Comment

I can't reproduce this this morning.
            I know for sure I could last night on a default store as I tried it numerous times.

I still have an issue with my client sites yet this seems perhaps to be related to the database of those sites and to do with catagories.

I don't beleive I did anything special last night compared with today. I can't explain why last night I could do this on a default store yet this morning not. I will continue to test as I still can't use PDSs on the sites I need to.

Note by 'trashed' I meant all the default CSS and design was cleared, leaving just an almost text based preview.

Comment

all the default CSS and design was cleared, leaving just an almost text based preview
              Never seen that and I've used PSD's on about 170 different V10 and V11 sites here. And clients have used them thousands of times.

Comment

I've used them extensively too. I'm going to look deeper into the product catagories and see if I can figure out why I get the message when importing into the customised client sites.

I still can't explain why I could reproduce it in a default store yesterday yet not today.

Comment

Hi Duncan

I have started a new topic for the problem mentioned by you here . I have not been able to replicate this either my end using different scenarios. Could you email me (krcsupport [at] actinic) the link to download any of the customer snapshots in which you are able to consistently reproduce the issue?

Regards
                  Krithika Chandrasekar
                  SellerDeck

sigpic

E-commerce software by SellerDeck

Comment

Working...
                  X