Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silver Theme and H1 Tags?

Quick question;

Knowing that only one H1 tag should be on a page, why does the Silver theme have H1 tags as standard for the page section titles?

I have modded my silver theme to have 6 sections, and as standard the silver theme creates H1 titles for them, should i just change them to H2 -H6?

View my sig link for reference.

Why not provide us with a link to a page that illustrates this problem, help us to help you?

Comment

Make them all h2 tags, not h2 thru 6.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
        Why not provide us with a link to a page that illustrates this problem, help us to help you?
        Sorry, i did state that the link was in my sig, and being the section titles, its every page of the site.

I will change them all to H2 tags, im assuming that having 6 H1 tags can damage the site in SERP's?

Comment

Damage is not perhaps the right way to put it, you just won't be taking advantage of headline importance and structure. It's more important really on product pages than section pages as there is little content anyway on most section pages unless you have descriptive fragments.

Comment

Originally posted by RoofingWarehous View Post
            Sorry, i did state that the link was in my sig, and being the section titles, its every page of the site.

I will change them all to H2 tags, im assuming that having 6 H1 tags can damage the site in SERP's?
            If it's every page of the site, I presume you are talking about the department menu in the left sidebar then?

Comment

If it's every page of the site, I presume you are talking about the department menu in the left sidebar then?
              Yes lee, sorry im not sure the correct term for those lol.

Comment

I think that was my point David, what you mean by section title could be something very different to what I think that is. There is section name and page title, section title is not really a valid name for anything, so i try to guess at what you might mean.

Having said that if Actinic's standard department menu is creating each entry as a H1, who came up with that crazy idea? Sounds a bit left field.

Comment

To be fair to Actinic, there would only be one H1 on your pages (and another on Section page headings) if you hadn't made your mods.

Changing them to H2 will require you to make some CSS changes as the default H2 will look wrong.
                  Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                  Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Yea i understand Lee, sorry.

Having said that if Actinic's standard department menu is creating each entry as a H1, who came up with that crazy idea? Sounds a bit left field.
                    This is exactly what i mean, Silver theme has 2 sections in the side menu as standard, and the Titles for these are both H1 as standard.

Anyhoo, i will adjust mine (As ive modded my layout to 6) to H2 tags.

Comment

Originally posted by NormanRouxel View Post
                      To be fair to Actinic, there would only be one H1 on your pages (and another on Section page headings) if you hadn't made your mods.

Changing them to H2 will require you to make some CSS changes as the default H2 will look wrong.
                      Yea thats true, but im still sure that as standard the 2 that are default still have H1 tags.

Ive just noticed that some CSS changes are needed too, as it does not look correct when changed to H2.

Thanks for all your help so far people.

Comment

Norman's right, your adjustments have added multiple H1s, that's not their fault, however they surely have this designed wrongly to H1 the department menu name, because as soon as you select a section, the section name at the top is also a H1. So they have a default setting where there will always be two H1s on a section listing page.

If that is standard setup, IMO they have it wrong and this has then made David's custom setup even more wrong.

Comment

Norman's right, your adjustments have added multiple H1s, that's not their fault, however they surely have this designed wrongly to H1 the department menu name, because as soon as you select a section, the section name at the top is also a H1. So they have a default setting where there will always be two H1s on a section listing page.

If that is standard setup, IMO they have it wrong and this has then made David's custom setup even more wrong.
                          But luckily i have people like you to help me put it right

Comment

Working...
                          X