Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding a transaction Fee to every transaction

Hi All

In order to recoup the transaction fee that I get charged by my PSP I'd like to add this charge or similar to each purchase / transaction made by my customers.

I'd like Actinic to carryout a calculation of X% + 16p to every purchase made on my website and have this cost show as an extra line item with the wording of 'Transaction fee'.

Is this at all possible ?

Hope the above makes sense.

Many Thanks

Steve

Ring Samaritans please, this is online suicide.

Comment

Very rare for me to post on here, but this has made me laugh and cry!

You have to be joking?

Add the cost in to your sales prices like everyone else does

Don't try and attempt to copy the likes of EasyJet or Ryanair who take the total p*** doing this whereby we have no choice, whatever you are selling, I'm sure customers will find it cheaper without paying a credit card fee

Sorry, but it really is commercial suicide

Comment

Thanks Guys for your very honest opinions.

I had mentioned the obvious to my client prior to me posting my message. I have since sat him down and showed him your messages and he immediately agreed that a seperate transaction fee was actually a 'daft idea' !

So Cheers for that !

Steve

Comment

Whilst I agree that this is not the right thing to do for most product based businesses, it is becoming standard practice in the holiday and accommodation industry.

I have looked into this in the past and not come up with a perfect solution so if anyone has one I'd be interested to hear it.

One idea I had was to create a separate product called Credit Card and having this as a check box on each product page. Then in Discount and Surcharges you can set up a 2% (say) surcharge if that product is in the cart.

I think this would work, but it relies on the customer ticking the box. If they don't, they can continue to pay with a credit card and avoid the surcharge.

Comment

What about using a hidden component or even a visible one with the checkbox ticked by default . Heres an example from my own site http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/LNB..._Minidish.html

Originally posted by RobMW View Post
            Whilst I agree that this is not the right thing to do for most product based businesses, it is becoming standard practice in the holiday and accommodation industry.

I have looked into this in the past and not come up with a perfect solution so if anyone has one I'd be interested to hear it.

One idea I had was to create a separate product called Credit Card and having this as a check box on each product page. Then in Discount and Surcharges you can set up a 2% (say) surcharge if that product is in the cart.

I think this would work, but it relies on the customer ticking the box. If they don't, they can continue to pay with a credit card and avoid the surcharge.
            www.satellite.ie

Comment

Hi Tony - love your site.

The only problem with using a component is that I don't think it can add a percentage on.

Comment

The way I look at it is that using the credit card for high value goods like a holiday I would have the card protection, using debit card I would not, in most circumstances

If you charged me more for getting this extra protection I would try other sites if possible

With airlines you have no or little option, but you can at least have ABTA protection if all goes pear shaped, with holidays ABTA seems to wriggle like bait on a fish to avoide payment or take many months to settle
                Chris Ashdown

Comment

Originally posted by RobMW View Post
                  Hi Tony - love your site.

The only problem with using a component is that I don't think it can add a percentage on.
                  Thanks for the kind words . Yes of course the percentage is the crucial issue
                  www.satellite.ie

Comment

I just tried to book a holiday cottage at Hoeseasons - 1.99% surcharge for all credit card transactions.

Very annoying - but the big holiday companies are passing on their transactions costs.

Comment

whilst people get a bit excited about credit card charges, low value items cost less to process than a debit card.

if you pay 2% on credit cards and 25p/transaction for debit credit cards are cheaper under £11.50.

Comment

For the record, as a retail shop, "if" we bank cash through Nat West we get charged 90 pence per £100 deposited plus a fee of £1.35 for standing in the queue. To get change for the till costs £1.05 per £100 plus 69p for the cheque.

Santander through post office allow £4,000 a month to be deposited "free" then 50p per £100, the girls at the post office are supposed to charge for the provision of change, but don't because obviously they all fancy me.

The point being - as a business we have to pay to collect money / process money..
                        www.devotedly-discus.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                        X