Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Password protected brochure page with downloadable content

Hi!

I'm wanting to create a press page with a password so that magazines can download pictures from my website and I would like this page to be password protected with one universal password that I can send out to journalists. There are a couple of parts to my query:

1) Is it possible to add downloadable content on a brochure page? I would like the press tab to appear on the top content bar alongside the home and products brochure pages appear.

2) How do I go about password protecting this page?

If anyone could help or give me some tips I'd be most appreciative!

Elissa

The best way would be to create a subdirectory for the images and then password protect it using a .htaccess file.

This is all done outside of Actinic and you should be able to find lots of advice on how to do this using google.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

The way I'd do this - which is probably wrong - would be to put the images in a folder on the server, and login and password protect the folder. Then just link to the folder from the press page.

--edit --

Sorry Mike, just seen your post :-)
      Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

The way I'd do this - which is probably wrong
        Sounds like a good solution to me.

Mike

Comment

Ah ok! I think I see what you mean. I guess you would have to put the folder in the site1 directory and upload it through Design/Additional Files? Sorry if that's wrong - I'm not overly technical!

I'll look into .htaccess files. Thanks for your advice!

Comment

You can't use Design / Additional Files to upload into anything other then the acatalog folder on your server (Actinic puts everything there). You'd have to manually FTP the folder if you want it to be a sub-folder of acatalog.
            Norman - www.drillpine.biz
            Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks for the info - would this be done in the File Manager in the Plesk Control Panel?

Elissa

Comment

Don't know / use Plesk. Someone else perhaps?
                Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

I believe you can create directories and uploads files using the file manager in plesk.

An easier way would be with an FTP program. There are several good free / cheap versions around. I think we even discussed these a while back on the forum.

Mike

PS. i use Aceftp. They have a freeware version here http://software.visicommedia.com/en/...ceftpfreeware/ which should do what you need.

Comment

Thanks for that - I downloaded the software but think it might be past my technical skills!

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Comment

It's fairly simple to use really, but might look a bit daunting. In a nutshell:

1. It opens up with three visible windows:
                      - The top one just shows the messages it's sending to and from the website and can be ignored.
                      - The lower Left hand window is for browing directories on our pc so you can find the files you want to upload.
                      - The lower RH one is for browsing the destination directories on your server.

2. To connect to the server:
                      - Click the button on the top bar that has the PC image with a green arrow and the text 'ftp'.
                      - This will open a list of options, one being 'new site profile'.
                      - Select this and enter a name for the settings (anything you like), the server address (normally ftp.yourwebsiteurl.co.uk), your username and password. I think that's all it needs.

3. To upload a file to the server.

- Browse to the file you want to upload in the LH window.
                      - Click the same button mentioned above to connect to the server. (You'll see various message appear in the top window that shows what's happening. Interesting to see (at least to some of us) but can be ignored).
                      - Use the RH window to browse to the directory where you want the file to go.
                      - Click the arrow pointing to the right that sits between the two windows to upload the file to the server. (or Click the arow pointing to the left to download a file from a server).

And that's pretty much it.

Mike

Comment

That's brilliant - thank you! I've managed to do it now - I was almost there but had missed out one of the steps.

Hope you don't mind a few more questions?!

What is the best folder to put it in? (see attached)
                        How do I access the folder from outside the FTP software? (what URL etc)
                        I downloaded a trial version as couldnt get the link you gave me for the FTP software to work - is there somewhere I can download the full version?

Many thanks again!
                        Attached Files

Comment

I would use the "Preventing Unregistered Customers from Entering Certain Sections in your Store" option from the Advansed User Guide

imho. its easy and effective way!

you can then have all your images as downloadable products and you have a good
                          record of who has downloaded what (make sure you have ticked - "Auto Ship Digital Download Products" in > Business Settings > Ordering)

create customers and allocate to different groups if you want to allow access to different materials etc.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                          X