Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exclusion of section/page from navigation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exclusion of section/page from navigation.

I Have set up a custom 404 page on the site so people can still navigate to their page should the unspeakable happen and they are linked to a page that no longer exists but its not kept up to date when there is a change in actinic so its a nightmare to manage.
    I would ideally like to set up a section or page with the content inside it but exclude it from the site navigation so its a standalone page. This way any changes made to the site would automatically be changed on the error pages too.

Can this be done?
    http://www.valves-online.co.uk

You could create a brochure page for this, upload it and then check the box to hide on the website. The page will still exist on the server but should then be removed from navigation. Note though that some servers require the 404 page to be on the root of the server - this method will put the page into acatalog.

Alternatively create a custom page similar to before but just with a single link to the sitemp instead of the full navigation.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Rounding View Post
      You could create a brochure page for this, upload it and then check the box to hide on the website. The page will still exist on the server but should then be removed from navigation. Note though that some servers require the 404 page to be on the root of the server - this method will put the page into acatalog.

Alternatively create a custom page similar to before but just with a single link to the sitemp instead of the full navigation.
      ok thanks i will give this a wizz. don't worry about the 404 setup as its all working fine at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Rounding View Post

There doesn't seem to be an option for not displaying on the site. in fact there isn't any check boxes on the properties of a brochure page, apart from the option o make it the home page

Comment

Originally posted by jollins View Post
          There doesn't seem to be an option for not displaying on the site. in fact there isn't any check boxes on the properties of a brochure page, apart from the option o make it the home page
          In the 'General' tab, left hand side of right hand panel, there's a checkbox for "Hide on Website".

There's another way to do it which is in the AUG and then see this thread.
          Paul
          Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bulpit View Post
            In the 'General' tab, left hand side of right hand panel, there's a checkbox for "Hide on Website".

There's another way to do it which is in the AUG and then see this thread.
            Hi there thanks for the reply.

So as i understand it i have to add a home page(were not using one atm) add a brochure, do an upload, hide from the website then do yet another upload for the changes to take effect but the file will still exist on the site?
            So every time there is a change to the site (new promotion banner or slight layout change) i will need to do this process again.
            correct me if im wrong?

Comment

Ok i think i might of found a better solution.

What i have done is create a new SECTION which I'm using for the 404. I then set the section link options for the product to a new and blank option called none. This removed the product option from he page. To remove from the nav i simply buried the item 3 levels deep so naturally its not displayed.
              As far as i can tell this has hidden the page from the navigation.

Comment

Originally posted by jollins View Post
                What i have done is create a new SECTION which I'm using for the 404. I then set the section link options for the product to a new and blank option called none. This removed the product option from he page. To remove from the nav i simply buried the item 3 levels deep so naturally its not displayed. As far as i can tell this has hidden the page from the navigation.
                You've lost me. Perhaps I should give up now.

My belief is that you are correct in your assumption of Duncan's idea, in that the uploaded page will not subsequently be updated, it stays on the server in its original form.

I contend that the alternative method (where the page is uploaded yet is blockif'd from appearing) WILL update, but not appear in the menu. So, I feel you've missed this bit, consult the AUG and think again.
                Paul
                Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Comment

Working...
                X