Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I keep google out?

Hello!

I have a secret page on my site that can only be got to by customers scanning a QR code on the back of my products. How can I prevent this page being indexed by Google or other search engines?

The page is set up as a brochure page, and nothing links to this page from anywhere else on the site.

Blocking Google from indexing a page

First you need to set up a new variable called SearchEnginesDoNotIndex, with a type of true/false, under place of setting "Brochure" its best not to allow the use of use parent, as you might end up inadvertently blockin google from a page you want indexed.
    Set the initial value to "false" and the top level value to "false" to make this the default setting.
    Make sure you select the location where you want to be able to find your true/false list in the "place of setting" list.

Next in the <head> section of you page layout add this block if and the meta tag within it:

block if
    <meta name="robots" content="noindex">
    /block

Set the blockif condition to SearchEnginesDoNotIndex == true

From now on any page where you set the variable condition to "true" you will insert the metatag telling Google not to index the page, and by leaving it as the default false the page will be indexed a per normal.
    I would only attempt this if you are familiar with using blockif and variables as it's possible to end up in a total mess.
    Hope this helps.
    Steve Griggs.

"People in business often miss opportunities, mainly because they usually arrive dressed in overalls and looking like work."

www.kitchenwareonline.com
    www.microwave-repair.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Steve. I'll give it a go! Much appreciated.

Comment

You could also edit your robots.txt file with:

User-agent: *
        Disallow: xxxxxxxxxxx.html
        "Opportunities multiply as they are seized." - Sun Tzu

Comment

Pages restricted in robots.txt can still appear in listings see here. It would need a noindex meta tag and a blockif to restrict one page.
          Peblaco

Comment

Thank you Louise. Been a while since I've tackled web development so very good to know.
            "Opportunities multiply as they are seized." - Sun Tzu

Comment

I have tried to implement this by adding the following code but I get a condition error.

<actinic:block if="<actinic:variable name="SearchEnginesDoNotIndex" />">
              </actinic:block>

Anyone have any idea where I am going wrong?

Comment

Try:
                Code:
                <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SearchEnginesDoNotIndex%22%20%2f%3e">
                Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thank you Norman.

So therefore would the correct syntax for the condition being true be

<actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SearchEnginesDoNotIndex%22%20%2f%3e" ="true">

Comment

Just an observation on the original question.

If the page is a secret page and has no inbound links to it from any other pages (your site or anybody else's site) then as far as I am aware Google and the other robots will never find it and therefore never include it in any search results.

Chris

Comment

If the page is a secret page and has no inbound links to it from any other pages (your site or anybody else's site) then as far as I am aware Google and the other robots will never find it and therefore never include it in any search results.
                      It all depends on how important it is to keep the page hidden from google searches. Unfortunately, you have no control over who posts links where and there are other ways for google to come across a page.

1. There's always a chance someone will post the link in a forum.
                      2. Stats pages and other files google can find will often have links in them
                      3. Google track pages visited in Chrome (and other browsers using their plug-in) unless privacy settings have been applied.

Mike
                      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

So therefore would the correct syntax for the condition being true be
                        No! At least 3 errors in the 8 bytes you've added. Use my code as posted.

If you want to write Conditions yourself, use the Condition Editor. The green C+ in a round circle on the Design Tab / Layout Code pane.
                        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Working...
                        X