Mobile v11 Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile v11 Site

There have been a few threads started over the year regarding optimisation of an Sellerdeck (Actinic)site for use on mobiles, tablets etc but I cannot see any comment from Sellerdeck (Actinic) suggesting any workable options or if any are in the pipeline (hopefully not a long drawn out saga like Google checkout please ).

Have any users addressed this issue and how did you do it?
    - Optimised existing Sellerdeck (Actinic) site?
    - Added a seperate mobile site on a sub-domain or completely new domain?

Be interested in an up to date opinion on this.

Teclan does a mobile theme: http://www.teclan.com/acatalog/info_MB01.html that you may want to look at.

Comment

May be an expensive exercise as i'd need an existing theme incorporated

The trouble is timing as there's always the matter to consider of what Sellerdeck (Actinic) have up their sleeves for future releases for mobile sites.

Comment

Originally posted by party_pete View Post
        There have been a few threads started over the year regarding optimisation of an Sellerdeck (Actinic)site for use on mobiles, tablets etc but I cannot see any comment from Sellerdeck (Actinic) suggesting any workable options or if any are in the pipeline (hopefully not a long drawn out saga like Google checkout please ).

Have any users addressed this issue and how did you do it?
        - Optimised existing Sellerdeck (Actinic) site?
        - Added a seperate mobile site on a sub-domain or completely new domain?

Be interested in an up to date opinion on this.
        Interesting, hot topic this one.
        There are a few ways to address this issue, with the main 2 being:
        1. Device detection to redirect to "m" version of site. For SellerDeck users one of the main draw backs is additional product/order/customer administration across multiple sites.
        2. Responsive design (the one we opted for) where a single site adapts its display to the browser window. For responsive designs the main challenge is to reduce and minimise bandwidth.

We've addressed the bandwidth issue within our responsive designs by reusing existing images (scaled to 100%), keeping HTML and CSS3 to a minimum.
        It is really just the full, normal website, HTML/CSS/Images (which you'd be serving to all devices anyway without a responsive design). In testing across different sites we have only really seen a need to occasionally create a different version of a logo for the smaller layouts.

The difference in "weight" of HTML/CSS is only 1 or 2Kb in size. The worst case scenario with multiple logos would be 3 additional images.
        If your website has been built (or redesigned) with speed and optimisation in mind anyway (which it should) you are really not adding anything to the bandwidth overhead in these terms.

There will be other opinions on this I'm sure, however this is the basis for our development of this platform. The checkout adaptation and other features within SellerDeck were the really challenging parts a responsive design, not the HTML/CSS
        Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
        Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
        SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

We (SellerDeck) are not actively working on this at the moment. I suspect we would be if Fergus and others hadn't done some development already.

It is, however, near the front of our minds. On balance, I think the approach outlined by Fergus is generally the best one, although the alternative of a separate site might be applicable in some circumstances.

Chris

Comment

Biggest issue i've seen to date is the show/hide on the invoice and delivery address fields, when that tickbox is ticked and half the table wants to appear, results are sketchy at best ime.

Comment

Lee,

You are right, that one is my stumbling block on the responsive theme I am setting up, I do notice that Teclan have made theres drop below, so would be really grateful if they could provide some indication as to how they did this :-)

Thanks
              Many Thanks
              Lee
              www.mdnsupplies.co.uk
              www.hookandloopfasteners.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by MDN View Post
                , so would be really grateful if they could provide some indication as to how they did this :-)

Thanks
                With HTML, Javascript, CSS, trial and error and blood sweat and tears.
                It's Mark I of the responsive part for the checkout. We have a few more developments in mind for future releases to make it even more resilient across multiple platforms.
                The checkout was indeed one of the trickiest parts!
                Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
                Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
                SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
                  Biggest issue i've seen to date is the show/hide on the invoice and delivery address fields, when that tickbox is ticked and half the table wants to appear, results are sketchy at best ime.
                  I think that ive managed to overcome that issue for the most part, but external review and comment is always welcome.

Comment

Working...
                  X