Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspending website orders

Hi

Bit of a long shot this one I think. I couldn't find anything on the help file so I don't think this is possible. We currently have our website suspended. When we open it up we are getting huge bulk orders from our customers and we are forced to suspend it again to give us a chance to catch up on the orders. Is there a way to auto-suspend the website when we have received a certain number of orders using Sellerdeck 11?

Cheers,
    Steve

There's nothing directly in Sellerdeck that can do this.

There was some code on the forum many years ago that would let you see the number of orders on the server. It wouldn't take much in the way of javascript to look at that and when it get's too large to then replace the buy button with a message saying something along the lines of " Orders temporarily suspended to avoid overload of our systems".

You'd want to figure out some way of doing a manual reset of the order count (maybe on upload) to avoid orders starting again as soon as you'd downloaded the orders.

-----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Not necessarily connected to your problem, but we have had to cap some products as some customers were ordering the entire stock - toilet roll syndrome. In the Product: Details: Maximum field enter a figure.

Comment

Not necessarily connected to your problem, but we have had to cap some products as some customers were ordering the entire stock - toilet roll syndrome.
        It's not just consumers who do this. I remember in the 1980s there was a shortage of semiconductor chips and we had to put customers on allocation (so they only got a percentage of what they ordered / forecasted - maybe half). Being rational, the customers then ordered and forecasted twice as much as they actually needed and on the back of this the whole chip industry went on a massive investment program and building of new chip fabs which eventually led to huge oversupply and a drastic drop in prices for years and years. And all this because of an agreement with the Japanese manufacturers to stop dumping chips below cost on the international markets, which was supposed to raise prices, led to them cutting back production and kicking off the whole process.

Comment

In terms of resetting the order count. I'd probably just write the order count code so it only ever increases the order count. I'd then overwrite the file using sellerdeck's additional file upload to reset it by an upload when I wanted to enable orders again.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hughes View Post
            In terms of resetting the order count. I'd probably just write the order count code so it only ever increases the order count. I'd then overwrite the file using sellerdeck's additional file upload to reset it by an upload when I wanted to enable orders again.
            Thanks but I think for now I'm not going to mess with anything. I would be worried about causing all sorts of mayhem by starting to add script into the process. I get blamed for plenty already as it is. lol.

Comment

If I was to do this where exactly would you add the JavaScript? I know a little bit of JavaScript, just wondered where to get started with this. We'd like to limit the website to something manageable like fifty orders a day. Thanks.

Comment

You'd want it on every page that has a product so you might was well put it at the bottom of the main page layout.

If you wanted this done professionally then Norman Rouxel is your man (he's on the forum). He's a software professional, can code both the perl and Javascript.and would do a proper job for you. One less thing they can blame you for.

Comment

Working...
                X