Google Analytics Goal Setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Analytics Goal Setting

I want to set a goal to see how many people put something in their basket but then don't complete their order.

I'm unclear what URL I should put in the Goal Details Destination field. When I go through on my website and put products in the basket, I seem to get dynamic (??) page URLs.

I've done a search of the forum but can't find an answer to this question.

Can anyone help.

thanks
    Jane
    Jane Thurnell-Read
    200 Plus Weight Loss Tips

500 Plus Health And Happiness Tips

Jane,
    to measure where people drop out you need to track the customer at each page of the checkout. This means assigning a specific HTML page to each dynamic checkout page (e.g. os000001.cgi becomes checkoutpage0.html)

We do this firstly by amending the Google Analytics Tacking Code layout to add in these HTML names for Google.
    Code:
    <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22IsGoogleAnalyticsEnabled%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20true" >
    <script type="text/javascript">
    <!--
        var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl." : "http://www.");
        document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));
    //-->
    </script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    <!--
        var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("<actinic:variable name="GoogleAnalyticsNumber" />");
        pageTracker._initData();
        pageTracker._trackPageview(<actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%22Checkout%20Page%200%22" >"/acatalog/checkoutpage0.html"</actinic:block><actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%22Checkout%20Page%201%22" >"/acatalog/checkoutpage1.html"</actinic:block><actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%22Checkout%20Page%202%22" >"/acatalog/checkoutpage2.html"</actinic:block><actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%22Receipt%22" >"/acatalog/receipt.html"</actinic:block>);
    //-->
    </script>
    </actinic:block>
    then in the admin area of your analytics account you configure your goal to have the URL tracking enabled against each page.
    e.g.
    Step 1: "Invoice Details" : "/acatalog/Checkoutpage0.html"

You then end up with something like this ........

Click image for larger version

Name:	analyticsfunnel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	544662
    Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
    Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
    SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

hello Fergus

thanks for taking the time to reply to me. I understand the rinciple of what you are saying, but the practice is a little different. You say

We do this firstly by amending the Google Analytics Tacking Code layout to add in these HTML names for Google.

Where do I do that?

Jane
      Jane Thurnell-Read

Comment

You should find the Google Analytics code at the bottom of your outer layout. Click on it to open the layout code, take a backup of the contents and then replace it with the code above.

Comment

thanks Duncan, found that now :-)

But please bear with me everyone, I'm doing my best. Fergus's image of the code doesn't show what i need to put where within the HTML.
          Jane Thurnell-Read

Comment

Hi Jane,
            For clarity, the code in my earlier post is a complete copy paste of the contents of the "Google Analytics Tacking Code" layout that I (and Duncan) were referring to.
            Hope that helps.
            Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
            Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
            SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

seems to be working OK; thanks for all your help Fergus and Duncan. Much appreciated
              Jane Thurnell-Read

Comment

Working...
              X