Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to ensure that visitors see the most current version of the page?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to ensure that visitors see the most current version of the page?

I've had a good search of the forum and can't see an answer on this one.

We have an real problem that when we do amendments to web pages (price amendments/stock availability) that our customers are seeing the old version of the pages.

Only today we've had a customer phoning up asking when a product will be back in stock when in fact it was added back on our website yesterday and was available to be ordered online.

I've had a general look around the net and there seems to be a plethora of possible solutions out there but from what I read many of them do not work.

Any help much appreciated.

Do you see the old version of the page too after clearing your browser cache? If so, then your changes are not uploading and you need to work out why.
    If you don't, then it's likely customers have something strange going on with their browser caches.

Have you changed the url of the page in question?

Things to try:

* a full purge and refresh of the site (from the Troubleshooting menu).

* as a last resort, I'd go into the server and manually delete the relevant .html page sitting there, then do a full refresh of the site from the Web menu.
    Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Originally posted by guccij View Post
      Do you see the old version of the page too after clearing your browser cache? If so, then your changes are not uploading and you need to work out why.
      If you don't, then it's likely customers have something strange going on with their browser caches.

Have you changed the url of the page in question?

Things to try:

* a full purge and refresh of the site (from the Troubleshooting menu).

* as a last resort, I'd go into the server and manually delete the relevant .html page sitting there, then do a full refresh of the site from the Web menu.
      The changes are uploading fine.

I have not changed the URLs and would not want to.

A full purge and refresh of the entire site every time we make a small amendment to one page is not a practical option even if that resolved the problem which in my experience it does not.

Comment

The problem you have is that the browser will be caching the page from the previous visit which means that often the latest updates won't be visible if it's not so long since the page was last visited.

You can tell the browser not to cache the page. See here for a detail example: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...g-of-html-page

Mike
        -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

I would err against preventing caching as it will reduce the browsing experience for visitors and will increase the overhead on the calls to the server.

ctrl + F5 will clear your browser cache so you can see the latest changes

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Working...
          X