version confuision V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

version confuision V8

Hi, I am probably just be stupid, I am currently using Dev V7.
    Having download the v8 beta I see there are two options, one for merchant product range and one for web design range.
    Which one is equal to or replaces Developer.

I have tried the V8 Business Client under web deisgner but it does not contain the 'Design' Tab thereby I am unable to change themes or other options.

The 'Designer' V8 program includes this 'design' tab.

IS this option only in Deisgner.

I think I have got confused with there being 5 new versions to choose from!

Thanks
    Wesley
    Treasure Island Sweets

Business Multi Site replaces developer - this is probably disabled in the BETA as you only need the 1 site to work on to evaluate

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

hi, thanks, the beta looks good, just reading through the pdf.
      The one click order process looks nice, just been tinkering with it, I have a few comments to make on it, is it best to email these to support or post here.
      They are not bugs just improvements!
      wes
      Treasure Island Sweets

Comment

Im doing a bit of both

Comment

Not a bug as such more of a request,one click processing.
          Currently we use 2 delivery companys, when we send a job out we email the customer to let them know when there parcel will arrive, if we use Royal Mail then we word that email accordingly, if we use a courier we have a differnt email.

I know we can set up email templates for both of these.

What I am getting at is having something like two buttons for one click, or custom amount so that if you can one click process and send differnt emails.

Example ;one click button completes job and sends email with email template 1.

Improved one clicks shows a list of buttons to send out orders to differnt email templates.

I hope this sounds clear.
          Multi one click buttons set up for diffent couriers and emails.

wesley
          Treasure Island Sweets

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Wesley - please report this to v8beta@actinic.co.uk.

Comment

Also, just to confirm, Business and Catalog have all the design flexibility of Designer - they are just missing some of the advanced deployment functionality.

The 'Client' versions of Business and Catalog essentially replace Order Manager as the tools used to manage a store that has been designed by a designer.

Comment

just to confirm, Business and Catalog have all the design flexibility of Designer
                So we still have the situation where there is no significant advantage in having designer ie as with V7 I can design multiple sites with Catalog as long as the client purchases the licence for Catalog. Is this correct?

Comment

The later days of V7 introduced developer and developer lite.

the later having the ability to design multiple sites without inbuilt order manager. full blown developer had the ability to run multiple stores.

This as a designer (if you don't run client'ssites for them) you can have lite (considerably cheaper) and your client buys catalog or business as appropriate.

I actually bought lite last month, up until then I always used my clients key to develop a site

Comment

I had many discussions about this with Toby at Actinic but he failed to convince me about the advantages of Developer/Lite V7. It looks like I can continue as I did with V7 and not bother with the new Developer/Designer Lite.

Comment

Are you saying the same as me, ie you use the client key to develop and haven't used developer as such?

The only reason I went for lite was I wanted the ability to save themes

Comment

you use the client key to develop and haven't used developer as such
                        Exactly. I can understand going for Lite if I needed to save themes but I dont.

Comment

OK just to clear this up a little more. I am currently running v7 developer. All of my sites are developed and run in house by me. I design the site, I built the catalog and at the end I download the orders. Dev V7 works well for this set up. With v7, if for some reason I was to build a site for someone else then they would have only needed to buy the order manager element and I would manage the site and they could download their own orders.
                          From what I have read, the upgrade for me is to the business multi site version of V8 which I think I saw was £1500. As far as I can see this will enable me to continue exactly as I am now with me building, depolying and running all of the sites I have to. What happens if I now want to deploy a site for a client. Can I build a site using the business multisite version and then have my client buy an Actinic catalog client to manage their end or, should this need arise, would I need to buy Actinic designer as well as the multisite business version to get the functionality to make a site work with Actinic catalog client?
                          It seems that there is an option for the Actinic designer customers to build sites for their clients, who have to buy Actinic Catalog Client, to get a free licence to be able to run their own in house sites. No problem with that but does it work from the opposite perspective with multisite developer. Most of my sites are in house but I would like the option to be able to offer to build a site for someone and offer them the benifits of me building the site and them just buying the Actinic Catalog client to download their orders. If this need came along coudl I do this from multi site business or would I also have to purchase Actinic designer?
                          Mark Ebrey
                          Swimming Pool Test Strips
                          Aquarium Test Strips
                          Pond Test Strips
                          Home Allergy Testing. Diagnose your allergy symptoms

Comment

If you have Actinic cover you are entitled to upgrade to designer and receive a free license to business multi-site. This will then totally replace Developer.

I agree that Business mult-site is not a replacement for Developer as it is a backward step on what you are able to do with the software.

I only took cover out 2 weeks ago when I felt V8 was close to being released.
                            Regards

Jason

Titan Jewellery (Swift Design)
                            Zirconium Rings
                            Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

Originally posted by cdicken
                              Also, just to confirm, Business and Catalog have all the design flexibility of Designer - they are just missing some of the advanced deployment functionality...
                              Still confused.
                              What advanced deployment funtionality is not in Business Multisite then?

Comment

Working...
                              X