css tableless design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

css tableless design

is the theme called "clean CSS layout" the only theme which uses css only with no tables?

I think the Contemporary theme (which you may recognise) also ditches tables - in the overall page layout anyway.

You can then change the 'Product List Layout' to 'Bare Product List' to remove any tables from the product list.

There are still tables in the checkout, but all the other unnecessary ones are now gone.

Comment

crash course in tableless design - here I come

That will keep me out of beta for a few days

Comment

I am seeing tables in the TopLevelSectionLink and also the Home_Image_Navigation_Button as well as around the products!

How do I change say the TopLevelSectionLink to use css layout and not tabled?

Bikster
        SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Can't quite get my head around 3 CSS definitions

one called actinic.css
          one called theme.css

and also there is inline css

whilst I can understand the contents of theme.css is the extra css required for each theme, and it is probably easier for actinc to keep this out of actinic.css.

I cant quite grasp why there is also inline css, and if I generate my own theme what are the implications of merging all 3?

Comment

one called actinic.css
            one called theme.css

and also there is inline css
            I spotted these on day one when I converted and uploaded my site live just to see what happened. I played with them but could not understand why there was so many css files which looked like they did the same thing. They ignored my own external css and as a result I could not resize the text on my site anymore.

I have also been playing with the clean theme and looking at the css, you should be able to resize the text with ie but it does not seem to work.

Also when you apply a style to text using the Actinic html editor it applies it as an inline style rather than adding it to actinic.css so that may be what the inline.css is doing??

Comment

hopefully if actinic are listening they will be able to offer a cleaner solution.

Initially I started working on my own theme, where I had everything in actinic.css, I was having problems working stuff out so I thought I'd work on changing an exsisting theme, contemporary is supposed to be tableless hence I chose it, to learn from it.

It is still confusing, I can't see if theme.css is actually used, so I may merge all css and see the result - as long as I can get to grip with what needs to be editted where. I hate it when there's stuff sitting there and you don't know if its important or not. I'm still working with outer layouts, I feel you are right about font changes etc being applied inline - I think Jont has already asked about that in another thread.

Separate button folder is neat, although using it has crashed the software a few times. {EDIT} I tell a lie, somehow i managed to get it so everytime I try to change the colours actinic crashes. I created my own set of buttons and they were sitting in a folder in the buttons folder, I changed button sets, a few times before I got it to take properly. The end result was a change of colour scheme also (not requested) and subsequent attempt to return to my chosen colour scheme or any other colour scheme crashes {/EDIT}

I may now revert to my own theme and see where that goes!

Sunday lunch and Wimbeldon first though

Comment

How do I change say the TopLevelSectionLink to use css layout and not tabled?
                I think ChrisD has said the themes won't be entirely tableless so I guess theres the answer - i'm not saying you have to live with tables but more as an explanation as to why tables are still there. Although I may look at normans menus as an alternative

my next task is to get a horizontal nav bar which pulls in all the buttons and doesn't change from page to page

Comment

everytime I try to change the colours actinic crashes
                  Same for me.

I have also been trying to edit the css using the web outer layout tab but with little success. It may be ok if you are an html wizard but not if you are used to DW css formatting.

Also trying to change the width of main area in site options seems to have no effect.

Comment

jo, have you seen the site options | properties | stylesheetlayout which give the option of using an external style sheet. I dont see how it works though!

Comment

ooops - tried playing with it and it crashed

Blue screen of death

Microsoft error messages on opening again

RIP V8

Comment

I've noticed on reinstalling, if you uninstall from Add/Remove Programs, then reinstall, unless you go to the v8 folder directly after uninstalling you have to close the install routine to go back and delete the site1 folder. It would be nice if this was built in

Comment

jo, have you seen the site options | properties | stylesheetlayout which give the option of using an external style sheet. I dont see how it works though!
                          so far I've taken actinic.css and added my own bits and bobs to it.

I'm assuming that by keeping actinic.css then formatting the inner layout will remain as is.

How else am I going to be able to apply css to inner layout if we can't get to "templates"

Comment

so far I've taken actinic.css and added my own bits and bobs to it.

I'm assuming that by keeping actinic.css then formatting the inner layout will remain as is.
                            I tried that as well but when I published the site the Actinic css took over and ignored my css.

I have also just found that if you try and change the css within Actinic you can only use absolute sizing ie px not small, smaller etc.

eg the variable smallfontsize uses 11px when it need to be small. The dropdown only gives px options

This is why I was getting confused as Actinic describe them as relative in the css file but apply absolute sizes. A complete mess - I cannot see a way of changing it.

This is important to me as many clients require thier sites to use text that can be resized.
                            Last edited by RuralWeb; 09-Jul-2006, 04:55 PM. Reason: example

Comment

I've just realised that I am talking twaddle.

I've reinstalled the software, created a site in DW (site1) copied my previous design (overall.html, images and css) into site1 and then registered the design.

I then realised that my overall html was calling css called mystyle.css and not actinc.css - Doh! in fact there is no actinic.css in the site1 folder....

I'll report back .....

Yes it is important to have resizable font, I prefer % for font size

Comment

Working...
                              X