No announcement yet.

Best Seller/New Products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Norman, works perfectly as is.

Comment

Originally posted by NormanRouxel

That's it. Your Products will now have a Property tab where you can enter the Brief Description for these sidebar items.
      I've added a new variable to store a brief description of a product, and I have added it to the New Products section it places as the default Home page when you start a new site in v8 (we only want to show the product title in the side bar New Products).

But, I can;t see where to actually type in the brief description? Should it be within the Property tab of the product? Do i need to do something to update this?

Cheers,

Stuart
      Tacklebargains.co.uk

Located: Cheshire, UK

Comment

have you created the variable as shown by Norman in post #2

Comment

Yeah - followed his instructions and added a Variable in the Product section as he described. But when i go into the UI, theres nothing new that i can see for populating that variable.
          Tacklebargains.co.uk

Comment

Yeah - followed his instructions and added a Variable in the Product section as he described. But when i go into the UI, theres nothing new that i can see for populating that variable.
            What settings do you have under 'Place of Setting' for the 'BriefDescription' variable?

What box is ticked, and what is the 'Tab Name' set to?

Comment

Oops :-)

Sorry Norman, I didn't tick the Product check box in Place of Setting.

Thanks for everyones help.
              Tacklebargains.co.uk

Comment

Hi - this code works great until you have quotes or double quotes in the description. Then it fails with
                Parse error: parse error in main on line 4

I tried using addslashes but to no effect. I could always use preg_replace to replace the quotes with NULL's but has anyone got a cuter way so that the quotes are still displayed?
                Regards
                David

Comment

aaahhh - I did not look hard enough. I found the answer here:

http://community.actinic.com/showthr...as+%24sWord%29
                  Regards
                  David

Comment

I so much want to get this to work, but I feel stupid. I have had a look at the suggestion in posting 2.

I have gone on and created the Variable. I ticked Product for the choice and left the tab as as Properties as no Tab selection was given.

I then clicked on the Design tab, selected a Product from the Content tree and has a look at the Layout Code, but at no point could I find ProductDescription for me to put something in to replace.

I am using v8.5.

Can someone please advise me as my descriptions are long on some items and brief on others, so the site looks all lop-sided.

www.serenitysounds.co.uk

Thanks!

Nig
                    Nigel Singer
                    www.lifetools.com
                    Solutions for Life

Comment

Open your product layout in the design-library instead then, i suspect that you was not actually looking at your product layout in the design tab.

Comment

Thanks.

Looking again I found the ProductDescription variable and replaced it with the BriefDescription variable and applied it.

I saw that the products had no description in them whatsoever and when I went to a product description, I clicked on the Properties tab, noticed that there was a Product - Brief Description but could find no place to enter a brief description for it to display, nor could I see where the full description could then be displayed (not unless the assumption is made that the full description is put in a pop up box/extended information box.

As for the block php script cutting it down to 10 words....that link implies a working knowledge of blocks and the AUG doesn't really cover blocks in any capacity.

Can someone please advise on how/where I enter my copy for the Brief Description on the products (also how I get the Brief Description to work with the New Products/Best Sellers).
                        Nigel Singer
                        www.lifetools.com
                        Solutions for Life

Comment

the AUG doesn't really cover blocks in any capacity.
                          Yes, you're right, becasue its an Advanced user guide, this implies that you're in ownership of at the very least, a basic skill set.

I'd suggest a jolly good read of the manual.

Followed by this tutorial:
                          http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=35126

The notion we're talking about is akin to extending the basic functionality of the catalog. Its a simple case of adding a variable, on a per products basis. After you read the offending media, you'll find that its a breeze, and you'll want to show people at parties, etc.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                          X