theme snapshot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

theme snapshot

Is there any decent documentation anywhere regarding producing a snapshot for a theme only.

I've looked though the help files, its seems I need to use deploy partial snapshot.

But all the tick boxes seem to complicate the issue.

If I have produced a theme, do I still need to list of addiltional files, even if they are reference correctly within actinic. if there are extra images for example button sets, background images within css do all of these need to be added, or will the snapshot pick everything up if it is all within site1 (or whatever site1 is now called)

Why would I want to tick/untick all the boxes, isn't it safer to send a complete design snapshot - having said that I need to send design elements only and not orders/products. how do I ensure I do this.

I can't see the option to add my own spash image for branding purposes

I concur. I remain baffled :/

Comment

Is there any decent documentation anywhere regarding producing a snapshot for a theme only.
      That's because there isn't any. More design documentation will be written during v8's lifetime as it becomes clearer how people want to use it.
      If I have produced a theme, do I still need to list of addiltional files, even if they are reference correctly within actinic. if there are extra images for example button sets, background images within css do all of these need to be added, or will the snapshot pick everything up if it is all within site1 (or whatever site1 is now called)
      A theme in v8 now is made up the following:
      • An overall page layout design
      • An alternative set of background images, logo images etc.
      • An alternative set of button images
      If you want your theme to be colorisable, as you clealy do, then you need to copy a new folder full of alternative images into the 'Formats\Themes' folder, and a new folder full of alternative images into the 'Formats\ButtonSets' folder. This is the same as you had to do in v7 if you wanted to have colorisable images. You can then supply a new 'themes.ini' file to the client that will automatically add the theme into their list when they go to 'Design | Themes'.

Layout-wise, you are right in saying you need to do a 'Design | Deploy Partial Site Design'. Then select all the layouts that you have designed for the theme, all the variables and layout selectors that you have edited, and all the conditions you have created, if any. If you have created any extra images that have filenames different to the default button_ or theme_ image filenames (i.e. ones that are not in the 'Formats\Themes' or 'Formats\ButtonSets' folders) then you need include these in the 'Additional Files' list in the dnapshot exporter. These images will then be copied to the 'Site1' folder on the target installation machine.

You can edit the themes.ini file to automatically apply an overall layout and a brochure overall layout when the theme is chosen - but you canot specify any other layouts (e.g. product layouts etc). These will have to be selected manually by the customer.
      This option is only available when deploying a full site snapshot from Actiinc Designer (i.e. one that includes sections and products).

Comment

I concur. I remain baffled :/
        David

I think you are looking to do a custom design for your own site, rather than a new theme that will be used on other peoples' sites.

I have your thread bookmarked, and I will get to it eventually, Keep an eye on the community this morning for a response.

Comment

I'm beginning to get into the make it up as we go along....as i get real custom answers to my Qs. Thanks for the snapshot explanation

This option is only available when deploying a full site snapshot from Actiinc Designer (i.e. one that includes sections and products).
          If thats the case can it be added as a feature in design snapshots too. It is an important issue when producing themes (ie a snapshot without products/order detail)

Comment

But the splashscreen will change what appears when customers first start up Actinic. Is that what you are aiming for?

Comment

At the end of the day, what will we be providing our clients if we are designing them themes that they should be able to "plug" into their own Actinic shops?

Will "Deploy Partial Site Design" result in a nice clean .acd file that the client can import to add the new theme to the list? Or will I have to manually produce a new "themes.ini" file for them to manually copy into the themes folder?

I understand now that all the code is in a database, and Actinic storeds "layouts" which are then referenced by "themes". So if I provide a theme to my client, I will be providing any additional layouts I have created, plus additional images, plus (somehow) a themes.ini that describes the relationship between the theme images, a button set and the basic top level page layouts.

Things are becoming clearer to me, but I don't think I've assumed the correct development road-map. When would I use "Save Site Images as Custom Images"/"Save Site Buttons as Custom Buttons" or "Deploy Partial Site Design..." ? For example, I might guess that I'm supposed to create my design layouts and images, make any references to those images I want and include them in the Site1 folder, then when its its all done I "Save Site Images as Custom Images", and buttons as well if I like, then finally "Deploy Partial Site Design" to get a client friendly .acd file... though all this seems a little odd so I'm guessing thats wrong :/

Could you possibly elaborate on the following:

[Deploy Partial Site Design]
              "
              The site backup consists of the following:-
              1)All external files referenced in the site's design.
              2) All files defined in the database 'FileList' and 'Additional Files' tables.
              3) The site and shipping database files (ActinicCatalog.mdb and SimpleShipping.mdb)
              4) The site registry entries.
              "

Most importantly right now, im interested in number 1) above.

Could we possibly have a worked "theme design and deployment" example? I'm at the point where I reckon I know how to do everything, but I will have no idea how to actually produce it for my client. In my opinion its best not to start until you know where you're going...

Comment

Dave - check out http://community.actinic.com/showthr...149#post119149

I suggest we continue the discussion there.

Comment

Working...
                X