Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will v8.01 be more stable?

Hi Guys

Just need if this is an install issue at my end or a software issue.

Still on the v8 eval and have spent most of today organising our clients products into the database.

Have now added 30k products into the database and uploaded to our test area. All is well on the test area, seems nice and slick BUT LOCALLY BOY OH BOY is this software struggling.

It takes masses of time to carry out the simpliest of tasks. So I decided to try our my theory on our dev machine which still holds a clean copy.

Adding 1k items per time I noticed no difference until we hit 5k, then the brakes were on. Anyone else spotted how it slows down drastically then more we add.

Not an issue, BUT IT IS AN ISSUE WHEN IT CRASHES 1/2 OF THE TIME?

Our 30k store is no longer stable offline? Any advice guys, has this been tested on the alpha/beta run with larger product volumes (states 200,000 products can be handled?)

Thanks in advance
    Daren
    Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
    Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

states 200,000 products can be handled
    I thought it was 20,000 - just checked the Actinic website but cannot see any figures there.

Comment

I know several users of v7 got it past 35.000 products - have not seen anything quoted for v8 though?

MS Access database is apparently the culprit for the speed issue.

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

I don't think there is fixed upper limit to the number of products Actinic can handle.
        As Jont indicates though, Access does have upper limits of file size.
        Can't say how this translates into products, as I guess it depends how much space each product is occupying.
        System definately slows down as the database size increases.

Comment

With the database size I suppose speed is one of the issues of maintaining it 'offline'.

The online performance is very good with v8 (or maybe my servers are performing better )

Going to look into ways of using an external database, I know you can do it, just not looked into it yet. With a projected 60k worth of lines for this client, I must find a way of being able to maintain the store that does not slow it down to critical levels.

What is the logic behind having the db offline I wonder, and maybe developing it to be homed online may be the future? Anyone doing this yet?

Regards
          Daren

Comment

Originally posted by los_design
            What is the logic behind having the db offline I wonder, and maybe developing it to be homed online may be the future? Anyone doing this yet?
            To create static HTML sites that fare better in terms of SEO and as you say provide a quicker experience, especially with bigger files. It also allows easy site set up and with lesser specified server requirements = lower costs and easier introduction for new companies.

Rumour mills are pointing at v9 being database driven but Mr Dicken is remaining very tight-lipped about this as usual

Bikster
            SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by los_design
              What is the logic behind having the db offline I wonder, and maybe developing it to be homed online may be the future? Anyone doing this yet?Daren
              Daren, give Ian a shout on Monday and he will be able to detail some options which might be of interest to you and your client, although it is far reaching, but remains firmly in the Actinic operation side of things

Comment

Something I've noticed is that the database size can become unwieldy (and slow Actinic considerably) after repeated Imports. Check the ActinicCatalog.mdb file size and see what it's like after Compacting.
                Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

> Going to look into ways of using an external database
                  if you mean to use external linking, I think this will slow it down.

Have you started with an upgraded site or with a V8 theme? How many sections do you have?

Regards,
                  Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
                  Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
                  A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
                  Product Mash for Sellerdeck
                  Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
                  Multichannel order processing
                  Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Originally posted by Support@Techno-
                    Daren, give Ian a shout on Monday and he will be able to detail some options which might be of interest to you and your client, although it is far reaching, but remains firmly in the Actinic operation side of things
                    Cheers guys

Will call Ian Monday

Regards
                    Daren

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                      > Going to look into ways of using an external database
                      if you mean to use external linking, I think this will slow it down.

Have you started with an upgraded site or with a V8 theme? How many sections do you have?

Regards,
                      Used both to compare (clean and custom) and I have to say external linking has not slowed us down at all compared to having all the stock imported (not yet anyway )

83 sections & sub sections.

Compacting the database helped a little Norman thanks.

Regards
                      Daren

Comment

Working...
                      X