Position of Fragment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Position of Fragment

Is there a way of controlling the position of a fragment on the home page in relation to the New Products List? I want to be able to put a fragment below the New Products but it defaults to placing it above.

I also want to do a similar thing in the Product Sections by having a fragment above the breadcrumb trail and page heading.

I guess I could do this by going into the layout code but I was wondering if there was another way.
    Actinic Web Design | Actinic Templates

Hi Rob

The only way to do this is via the layout code.

Simple enough though - for your first point just edit 'Standard Brochure Page Bulk' and move the 'BrochureFragmentList' layout selector to the bottom of the layout.

For the second point, you need to edit the 'Main Product Area Layout' that you are using. To select this, I tend to click on a product and then click the 'Navigate To Parent Layout' button (yellow spiral with an up arrow) until I select the layout I want to change.

There is a way to lay out fragments separately from products on the page. Let me know if you want to fix for this.

Comment

Simple enough though - for your first point just edit 'Standard Brochure Page Bulk' and move the 'BrochureFragmentList' layout selector to the bottom of the layout.
      Hi Chris,

I did this but it puts all the fragments below the New Products. I was hoping to have fragment, fragment, New Products, fragment. I guess that's not possible. I suppose I could hard code the top two fragments into the template though.

There is a way to lay out fragments separately from products on the page. Let me know if you want to fix for this.
      I'm intrigued - yes please!

Comment

You can do what you want by including more than one fragment list on the page, and setting conditions about which fragments appear in which list.

Here's how:
        1. Go to 'Design | Library | Variables' and create a new variable called 'IncludeInFragmentList'
        2. Make it settable at fragment level
        3. Then go to the 'Layouts' tab and expand the 'Fragment Lists' group
        4. Right-click on 'Standard Brochure Fragment List' and select 'New Layout'. Call it 'Top Fragment List' or something.
        5. You now have two fragment lists to play with, and you can now set a condition on each list to only include certain fragments in each list.
        6. Set a condition within 'Top Fragment List' to only show fragments where 'IncludeInFragmentList' equals 'top'
        7. Set a condition within 'Standard Brochure Fragment List' to only show fragments where 'IncludeInFragmentList' equals 'bottom'
        8. You can now go into the fragments in your store and set a value for 'IncludeInFragmentList' of 'Top' or 'Bottom' depending on where you want to fragments to appear on the page.
        9. Finally, customise 'Standard Brochure Page Bulk' and click the pink circle button with a + to insert the 'BrochureFragmentList' layout selector into the design - but use a fixed layout of 'Top Fragment List'
        10. This will include a list of fragments into the design - but only include the layouts where 'IncludeInFragmentList' equals 'top'

To create two different product lists - one which just does products and one which just does fragments - is easy. Simply go into the 'Product Lists' group in the library and right-click on 'Standard Product Lists' and select 'New Layout'. Call it 'Standard Fragment List'. Now edit 'Standard Fragment List' to remove all references to the 'ProductLayout' selector, and edit 'Standard Product List' to remove all references to the 'FragmentLayout' selector.

You can then just insert them into your 'Main Product Area' layout (whatever that is called) where you want the lists to appear.

Comment

Hi Chris,

Thanks very much for your detailed reply. I'll certainly have a look at that. Sounds like a good entry for the AUG.

Cheers

Rob

Comment

Yes - I go away on holiday for two weeks next week, but I'm hoping to update the AUG with lots of things before that.

Comment

Originally posted by cdicken
              You can do what you want by including more than one fragment list on the page, and setting conditions about which fragments appear in which list.

Here's how:
              1. Go to 'Design | Library | Variables' and create a new variable called 'IncludeInFragmentList'
              2. Make it settable at fragment level
              3. Then go to the 'Layouts' tab and expand the 'Fragment Lists' group
              4. Right-click on 'Standard Brochure Fragment List' and select 'New Layout'. Call it 'Top Fragment List' or something.
              5. You now have two fragment lists to play with, and you can now set a condition on each list to only include certain fragments in each list.
              6. Set a condition within 'Top Fragment List' to only show fragments where 'IncludeInFragmentList' equals 'top'
              7. Set a condition within 'Standard Brochure Fragment List' to only show fragments where 'IncludeInFragmentList' equals 'bottom'
              8. You can now go into the fragments in your store and set a value for 'IncludeInFragmentList' of 'Top' or 'Bottom' depending on where you want to fragments to appear on the page.
              9. Finally, customise 'Standard Brochure Page Bulk' and click the pink circle button with a + to insert the 'BrochureFragmentList' layout selector into the design - but use a fixed layout of 'Top Fragment List'
              10. This will include a list of fragments into the design - but only include the layouts where 'IncludeInFragmentList' equals 'top'

To create two different product lists - one which just does products and one which just does fragments - is easy. Simply go into the 'Product Lists' group in the library and right-click on 'Standard Product Lists' and select 'New Layout'. Call it 'Standard Fragment List'. Now edit 'Standard Fragment List' to remove all references to the 'ProductLayout' selector, and edit 'Standard Product List' to remove all references to the 'FragmentLayout' selector.

You can then just insert them into your 'Main Product Area' layout (whatever that is called) where you want the lists to appear.
              I really like this idea and have followed fine up to the point of adding conditions to each fragment list? How do you do this?
              Sam
              http://www.originaltouch.co.uk
              http://www.spcb.co.uk

If you spend your whole life waiting for the storm, you’ll never enjoy the sunshine.

Failure is the tuition you pay for success.

Comment

May have achieved conditions but can't find where to customise the page and add the layout selectors - I am adding these to the standard section page
                Sam

If you spend your whole life waiting for the storm, you’ll never enjoy the sunshine.

Comment

OT? are any of your sites made in actinic?

the ones in your sig arent!

Comment

That is exactly why I have just bought Actinic and am desperately spending hours on end trying to get them to work. Have a look at the link: http://trials.actinic.com/trials/trial44703/index.html
                    and then ALL of my sites will be Actinic - that's why I've bought the multi-site version. I am trying to find out how to put one fragment at the top and one fragment at the bottom of a section page with a sub-section in between. Sorry if I have done anything against any rules - from a very new and enthusiatic user
                    Sam

Comment

Sorry if I have done anything against any rules - from a very new and enthusiatic user
                      If i were you i'd kill your signature, otherwise you may well be perceived as a spammer. There are lots of peeps who try to spam forums trying to get better seo ranking through back links - you stand the risk of being lumped in with those unscrupulous bods.

When you have finished the firsr of your sites in actinic then add it back into your sig

Welcome to the community BTW!

Comment

Fragments top and bottom of sections

This is the page in particular
                        http://trials.actinic.com/trials/tri...Treatment.html
                        The reason I need a fragment at the bottom (the one that says bottom please) is that it will create links to particular section pages that are related to particular range - I do not want to use the related products idea as they relate to each individual product. I do not want to put the fragments as sub-sections or they will mess up the catalogue. The only 'work around' I can think of is to duplicate the sub-section into a fragment so that the order is right but then there will be the same sub-section again at the bottom. I have tried to follow the idea above in the section page by making new 'product list' variables (where the data is on the section page) and putting conditions of IncludeInFragmentList as top or bottom. However all fragments are displayed and the conditions are not taken into account. Perhaps I am trying too hard to alter the idea above on a completely different page and there is actually somebody out there who knows exactly how to do it.....??!!
                        Sam

Comment

Changed the signature!

I have quickly changed the signature so as not to offend anyone - and before trick or treating with the kids - so that someone somewhere can answer this thread!
                          Sam

Comment

Can you put some fragments in that do what you want them to do, but are just sitting in the wrong places. Then tell us which fragment you would like to move and where you would like to move it to. It's all getting a bit difficult to read and see what the hell you want, a picture paints a thousand words as they say, let us have the picture, not the thousand words.

My initial reaction is for you to create a very cut down product description and use it as a fragment, but i kind of got lost on what you want to do, please clarify or illustrate should i say.

Comment

fragments at bottom of section page

OK - words are very fluid when your head is full and time is short. Here's a picture as requested.

I have created 2 fragments - related product ranges 1 and 2 - that I would like at the bottom of the page after the sub-section entitled 'wet spray booth sludge removal'.

this sub-section (wet spray booth sludge removal) is automatically put at the bottom of the page after all of the fragments as it relates to the products in that section but I would like this link to be higher up in the page position. (before related ranges not after).

I have also included the 'work around' I was referring to before. I have created another fragment called 'Buy Denaturants Now'. In effect it does exactly the same as the sub-section link at the bottom but I can put it where I want as it is a fragment. This is not ideal though as the sub section still appears at the bottom.

Is there any way I can move that sub-section between the fragments? The idea I have tried to copy to separate fragments was:

"Originally Posted by cdicken
                              You can do what you want by including more than one fragment list on the page, and setting conditions about which fragments appear in which list."

This would have been ideal but was referring to brochure pages and I became mixed up when trying to set similar conditions on the section page..
                              Sam

Comment

Working...
                              X