Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Thoughts On Whether I Should Upgrade Yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Thoughts On Whether I Should Upgrade Yet?

Just wondered whether anyone has any thoughts on whether v8 is sufficiently stable to upgrade existing v7 sites to. Actinic have advised me not to upgrade until the first maintenance release is out which will probably be early September. However, now we have had a production version for a few weeks I just wondered whether the prevailing opinion is that v8 is a little buggy and that it really would be best to wait for the first maintenance release or whether people are finding that in fact they are operating v8 stores without any real problems, especially if just used out of the box. Clearly, from the discussions on this forum there are some issues, but if anyone who actually has a live site could give an opinion then I would be very interested.
    Cheers
    Mark Ebrey
    Swimming Pool Test Strips
    Aquarium Test Strips
    Pond Test Strips
    Home Allergy Testing. Diagnose your allergy symptoms

The thing you have to bear in mind is any new release of software has the potential to throw up unknown errors at some stage of its life. This is not restricted to Actinic.

Actinic have tested the software and are fairly confident there are no showstoppers. The decision whether to upgrade has to be taken site by site.

It probably still is buggy, but there is also a chance those bugs won't affect the day to day running of your store. The decision can also be based on how critical the website is to the daily income of the business, if you do uncover a bug could it impact on your business? Or is it better to step back and let the product evolve for a little longer.

Personally I am probably not going to upgrade any major websites until after Christmas, there is no point in upsetting a website in its run up to the busiest time of year. That also gives me a good run in period to properly learn the new software. That doesn't mean I won't release new sites as V8 sites. I just prefer to take prudents steps, and let other more enthusiastic site owners uncover the few nasties which could be there.

Comment

Working...
    X