Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V6 upgrade to V8 ...scary

Hi

Forgive the level of technical knowledge evident in this post.

After years using V6 I downloaded a trial version of V8 today for evaluation.I note that during install there is an "upgrade V6" option which sounds like what I need. The problem is that I still have an active V6 site running and cant suspend orders while I evaluate. If I click this option will it mean that my existing site will be overwritten?

All I want to do is leave my existing site as it is and evaluate the features of V8 - I dont want my current site changed at all until I have seen what V8 does to it and I have had a chance to play around with it for a bit.

Can I do this or will my current site be incorporated into V8 for the duration of the trial period?

What you need to do is take the option to make a separate v8 installation, leaving the v6 installation intact, then take a snapshot from your v6 site and import that to v8.

You can still continue to run and maintain the live site from v6.

When you are ready to try out your v8 attempts on a 'live' server, just ensure you put it into test mode. This will create a test folder inside acatalog and upload the new site into that test folder - you will still be able to run and maintain the /acatalog/ live folder from v6.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Thanks Bill, that worked.

Comment

I know that you are sorted now but just for the record, if you tick the upgrade V6 option on the installation, it upgrades your V6 site but leaves your old one intact. You can then develop your V8 site while you continue to use your live V6 site.

How did the upgrade go? Did the upgrader make a good job of converting your site design?

Regards,
        Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
        Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
        A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
        Product Mash for Sellerdeck
        Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
        Multichannel order processing
        Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Hi Jan

Sorry its taken so long to reply - didnt see your post until today!

Actually it was a nightmare! I have made a lot of changes to the templates on my site and a whole load of files were not upgraded. The result was such a mess that the thought of manually adding all the missing code was too much and I have decided not to bother with 8 and stick with what I know (6).

According to all the bumph upgrades are supposed to be easy - bull****.

Comment

A lot of people are choosing to start again with a new design for V8 (not necessarily due to upgrade problems - my sites upgraded seamlessly) to take advantage of the new faster V8 online code. It might be worth you considering this.

Regards,
            Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud

A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
            Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
            Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

the new faster V8 online code
              Hi Jan, I haven't noticed anything on this. What's the story?

Mike
              -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

I found that if I upgraded my own sites to V8, they ran quite slowly, but by putting my products into a standard V8 site the speed of the site was quicker than my V7 one. I don't have any facts and figures but I think that the V8 code renders more quickly online than the V7 template based code did.

Regards,

Comment

Hi Jan

I wonder if the extra fast V8 code will be adequate compensation for the 9 months spent doing the site from scratch again!?

Comment

Ouch

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                    X