V8 Product Extended Info Popup Window problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V8 Product Extended Info Popup Window problem

When I open a product extended information popup page the catalogue page I opened it from scrolls back to the top of the section and remains there even when I 'close' the popup. This is very annoying when you have many (100's) products in one section and you have to scroll down again to the product that you were looking at. Is there anyway to stop this action ??

This is probably because you have huge product pages.

What happens is this: if you open a popup while the page is still loading, then this causes Internet Explororer to abandon loading the page, leading to missing text and images.

To alleviate this the Actinic ShowPopUp routine causes the parent page to reload if it's not fully loaded the first time (the idea being that now many images will be in the browser cache and only the later ones will be downloaded).

I've posted an alternative ShowPopUp routine that warns the user to wait until the main page loads. A bit of searching (for ShowPopUp) should find it.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Originally posted by Gottasellbears
      This is very annoying when you have many (100's) products in one section and you have to scroll down again to the product
      From a usability point of view may be worth looking at just how many products you have on a page (section) ... most users get bored after 3/4 page folds and will certainly get bogged-eyed if looking at 100+ products ... may be worth trying to place into subsections and breaking the list a little further

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

I thought that also but it's not the case. The page I'm using only has about 20 products on it and is completely loaded in less than a few seconds, (I can scroll down to the bottom and all text and graphics are present).

Comment

There may be something else wrong that's causing this. Do you have an URL so we can see.

Comment

Here is the web site still under construction but you can see the effect if you 'click' on a More... link of a product further down the page.

http://www.buyruss.co.uk/acatalog/Books.html

Thanks.

Comment

Hi,
              Have you got your browser set to block pop ups?
              Matthew Brown
              http://www.jamcomm.com
              http://www.colourwash.co.uk
              -----------------------------------------------
              Matthew Brown
              Jam Communications Ltd
              http://www.jamcomm.com

Comment

Just checked and pop ups are allowed.

Comment

Just tested and the main page stays on the same product area while the popup opens and closes. I tried several of the more links - none gave a problem.
                  Bill
                  www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                  Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                  BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                  Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                  VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                  Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

I see the problem. You've removed

onload="<actinic:variable value="PreloadImages" name="OnLoadScript" />"

from the <body ...> tag. This is required for the ShowPopUp routine to work properly.

Also your images have very large file sizes, causing very slow page load times. The small ones are approx 24Kb and the large are a massive 270Kb (I looked at the 1st product on http://www.buyruss.co.uk/acatalog/Books.html). There are threads on JPEG Optimisations that would be worth looking at.

Comment

A fudge, if you don't want the PreLoadImages stuff, would be

<body onload="var bPageIsLoaded = true;">

Comment

Extended Information-Suggested resolution is not working. Please Help..

Hello,

I am also having this problem. When the image is clicked upon and the extended information window opens, the original image sitting in the window behind jumps back to the top of the page. This is really annoying.

I have tried inserting

onload="<actinic:variable value="PreloadImages" name="OnLoadScript" />"

into the layout as suggested but it just seems to upset the layout of my shop.

It is quite possible that I am inserting this into the wrong section. I am unfamiliar with Actinic so please could somebody explain step by step where I need to insert the above.

Thanks,
                        Jules

Comment

As always, an URL of a problem page helps.

Comment

Will work it out eventually..

Hi Norman,

Unfortunately, I am not able to give you the URL as the site has not been uploaded yet. Not to worry, I have registered a query with support so I will wait and see what they come back with.

Thanks,
                            Jules

Comment

If you look in your Overall Layout (for the product pages) and post the line that starts <body ....> that would help.

Comment

Working...
                              X