No announcement yet.

V8 dead slow with external linking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Why is V8 hammering the database to death with 70 times more SQL calls than V6 did. (and this is with preview off, so a like-for-like comparison)
    This is because of the UDP's (in my opinion), UDP's are V8 customvars - sort of anyway. You aren't using them but it looks as if they are being checked for. I am probably wrong but I can't see anything else that would cause that number of extra SQL activity.

2. Why does V8 take so long to open when linking is enabled? The linking information is kept in the database whether linking is enabled or not, so what in the world is V8 doing all the time? How long can it take to make sure you have the relevant data?
    Same as 1, extra processing to cater for the UDPs. a guess again though.

3. Trying to print a catalog report (such as 'catalog summary') when linked always seems to give me an error in V8. Here it is:

Quote:
    There was a problem with the database

Operation: Executing the query 'UPDATE TemporaryProductTable INNER JOIN [ProductLinked] ON TemporaryProductTable.[Product reference] = [ProductLinked].[Product ID] SET [TemporaryProductTable].[bStockEnabled] = [ProductLinked].[Control?],[TemporaryProductTable].[Product reference] = [ProductLinked].[Product ID] WHERE [TemporaryProductTable].bUseExternalData = TRUE '

Database name: C:\Program Files\Actinic v8\Sites\Site1\ActinicCatalog

COUNT field incorrect

Action: Contact your Actinic reseller or Actinic Support as appropriate
    This looks like a bug, you should report it to Actinic

.4. Why does actinic still use odbc 2.0 sql calls when these appear to be a cause of sql errors? Yes, the software recovers from the errors, but it would be better if they weren't there in the first place.
    Actinic doesn't use odbc 2.0 calls at all, I am sure of this but the libraries that are being used by Actinic must do. I'm not sure what the solution is but your investigations should make this much easier to determine.

Sorry for being of very little help here Mike :-(

Regards,
    Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
    Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
    A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
    Product Mash for Sellerdeck
    Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
    Multichannel order processing
    Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Hopefully actinic are now looking at this.

There's one thing I want to clarify here. There are at least two, probably three, problems affecting V8. I think I'm suffering the combined effects of all three, but I'd be surprised if all actinic users weren't affected by at least two of them

1. Is the hammering of the database with SQL calls. This happens whether external linking is enabled or not. i.e. even without external linking, V8 is hammering the database with 60-70 times as many SQL calls as V6 does. This probably accounts for why it takes V8 40 seconds to open (with linking disabled) versus 4-5 seconds for V6.

2. Is whatever V8 is doing when the linking is enabled. With 1,000 products and linking enabled (just two items - productID and stock check enabled) V8 takes 3 minutes and 40 seconds to open (even longer if the worksheet is part of a larger workbook). Even closing the external linking dialog takes about 2 minutes before actinic stops processing. In my testing, this delay appears proportional to the number of products that are linked.

3. Is the ODBC 2.0 stuff that appears to be causing SQL errors and applies to both V6 and V8 (and probably V7).

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Hi Mike

I have seen what you have written and am passing it over to development. I have this thread in my subscription

Thanks for what you have written, it is very useful

Kind Regards
        Nadeem Rasool
        SellerDeck Development

Comment

Working...
        X