Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who to use for signing certificate

Hi everyone,

There are various signing certificate around. Would someone recommend one or not recommend one from their experiences.

Depends what you want to sign - are you talking about an SSL certificate for your site, or a authentication signing certificate for software you are writing?
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Originally posted by wjcampbe
      Depends what you want to sign - are you talking about an SSL certificate for your site, or a authentication signing certificate for software you are writing?
      Hi, I want to sign the SSL certificate and would like to have comments from others who is better as I am still getting lost quite easily.

Comment

You need to find out from your host what they can install for you, then choose between what they can offer or actinic shared ssl.

Comment

Hi there,

I don't have a host yet. In a way, I am trying to find out more about the SSL first.

Any recommendation ?

Comment

You have to buy what fits your host - like you don't go out and buy add-ons for you car till you buy the car (or at least decide what you are buying).

Are you going to use PSP to process the credit cards (recommended - avoids all sorts of Data Protection Act complexities)? You may not even need SSL in this case.
            Last edited by wjcampbe; 06-Oct-2006, 03:57 PM. Reason: spelling
            Bill
            www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
            Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
            BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
            Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
            VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
            Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

The big players for ssl certs are Twaite, Verisign and Comodo

To be honest the thing way that they differ is in the price. They are all equally secure. Price sometimes is indicative of the value of compensation offered in the extremely rare event of the encryption being broken.

Comment

Hi again,

I have checked out Thawte and Comobo. In Thawte, they priced Certificate and License separately. I had asked (view their web as well as someone who had responded to a previous query) them for clarification but over a week, I have not hear any thing and I have tried to sent the same message to ask for a reply.

Anyone know the difference in certificate and licence prices. At the beginning, I thought I pay for the certificate for life and pay for the licence yearly or bi-yearly. However, they priced the certificate with yearly and bi-yearly price. So I just baffled what do I really have to pay overall.

Any idea ?

Comment

As previously stated you should find your host first, and then look at SSL options.

Mosts hosts supply certs and (install them for you) from one of the big players and will have a set fee to supply SSL for a 12 month period. Certificate and Licence fees are invisible to you.

Comment

Reb

I'm shortly moving hosting company and will be having an SSL certificate. Jo, who wrote the above post has been fantastic in helping me and explaining the process, she has also answered my emails in a timely manner. My hosting costs will be cut in half by moving over, yet the service improved vastly.

Simple pricing plan, choose a hosting plan suitable for your business, this is payable annually and choose whether to add SSL (which is just into 3 figures) which is also payable annually. No set up costs, no messing around, straight forward pricing and excellent help - easy as that.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X