Different shipping charges for different services

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different shipping charges for different services

Can someone please explain to me how I can set my site so users can select (at checkout) from a list of different methods for delivery (each with a different cost) and how I can set heavier items to carry a separate shipping charge which is added on to the standard delivery charges (for each "heavy" item ordered).

Sorry if this is something really obvious but I can't seem to make sense of the user guide!

Thanks,

Greg.

Hi Greg

The shipping tables in the settings menu allows you to set your different shipping options and their associated costs. If you do your shipping by weight, you can include the weight into each product that you class as heavy and have that weight correlate to a shipping cost in the shipping table.

Comment

Thanks Lee,

So I just wanted to check that I am going about this the best way..?

I am assigning a weight of 0.01kg to all standard delivery charge (say £5.00) items and a weight of 100kg for any items requiring a heavy item surcharge (say £10.00).

I have then created a shipping table as follows:

99.99kg - £5.00
      199.99kg - £15.00
      299.99kg - £25.00
      399.99kg - £35.00

etc....

Is this the best way of going about this - or is there a better way of setting up separate delivery charges for heavier items that anyone would suggest?

Thanks,

Greg.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Dallamore
        Thanks Lee,

So I just wanted to check that I am going about this the best way..?

I am assigning a weight of 0.01kg to all standard delivery charge (say £5.00) items and a weight of 100kg for any items requiring a heavy item surcharge (say £10.00).

I have then created a shipping table as follows:

99.99kg - £5.00
        199.99kg - £15.00
        299.99kg - £25.00
        399.99kg - £35.00

etc....

Is this the best way of going about this - or is there a better way of setting up separate delivery charges for heavier items that anyone would suggest?

Thanks,

Greg.
        Greg

If it was me, rather than do:

99.99kg - £5.00
        199.99kg - £15.00
        299.99kg - £25.00
        399.99kg - £35.00

I would do:

99.99Kg - £5.00
        199.99Kg - £15.00

and then use the excess box (just under where you input the details). i.e. Increment highest value in table by £10.00 per 100Kg. This means you only have two values in the table etc.

I would also set Default weight to 0.01Kg, this will effectively set every product in your catalogue (where you have not included a weight) to 0.01Kg, and then make sure that on all of your heavy items which need this surcharge, you put the weight 100Kg in.

The only thing you need to ask yourself then is this: If someone orders one heavy item and one normal item, do you want to charge them £15 or would £10 cover it really?

Comment

Thanks Lee.

I'll keep it as a standard charge plus a surcharge - it keeps it nice and simple for me - plus doesn't open up a can of worms of people expecting more and more for the delivery charge!

Thanks again,

Greg.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Dallamore
            Thanks Lee.

I'll keep it as a standard charge plus a surcharge - it keeps it nice and simple for me - plus doesn't open up a can of worms of people expecting more and more for the delivery charge!

Thanks again,

Greg.
            I understand your point, however postage can be something which decides whether a sale goes ahead or not. That is of course your decision. For me personally, if someone tries to make a profit out of postage, then they rarely get my sale as i perceive this to be like the Government and their back hand taxes.

It is also very simple for you to have, if you just add a weight in the middle of the current two i.e. 120Kg = £10 for example. This way anyone that buys a "light" product, will be charged £5, if they order 10 light and 1 heavy, they will be charged £10 and if they order 2 heavy, they will will be charged £25 etc.

Your bandings would be as follows:

99.99Kg - £5.00
            120.00Kg - £10.00
            199.99Kg - £15.00

Comment

Working...
            X