Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Actinic v8 on my web server

Hi there

I manage and configure my web server. I am relatively new to Actinic. I assume I have to install Actinic on my web server. My next question is which folder in Windows Explorer (on my web server) do I install everything? And once it is installed do I create a new virtual web site in my IIS and then reference the folder where Actinic was installed in Windows Explorer? All of this I can do as I am very experienced with IIS etc... but not with Actinic. Anyone done this before who can give me help?

Also, I currently have the trial evaluation version. I assume I will not have to re-install everything and add all my products again when I convert to the full product?? Can I test and upload my pages with my trial evaluation product or can this only be done with the full version?

I have looked in the guide for this scenario but can't see any pointers for this.

Thank you for any help.

I think you will need Multi-User to install on a server, the other versions are for single pc use only

All the work you do will still be ok as the licence key just opens up the software you have installed so no data or setup are lost

Yes you can upload and test and if you need a test site actinic sales will provide you with a test area
    Chris Ashdown

Comment

there is full documentation for installing to IIS,tak a look at the download page on the actinicsite

Maybe its towards the end ofthe advanced user guide

Comment

Originally posted by chris ashdown
        I think you will need Multi-User to install on a server, the other versions are for single pc use only

All the work you do will still be ok as the licence key just opens up the software you have installed so no data or setup are lost

Yes you can upload and test and if you need a test site actinic sales will provide you with a test area
        Thanks for your replies. What is the Multi-User version? Customers will not be logging in or anything like that. It will only be me who accesses Actinic on my web server.

I have just installed everything and set up the network settings. However for some reason it asks for FTP settings (everything is on the same server/machine) so no need to FTP unless Actinic needs this for something else. However I have entered the FTP details for my web server (even though it is all on the same machine) and when I click "Test" it comes up with a message saying: "Unable to connect to the FTP server "ip address". The login request was denied". The FTP settings are definitely correct. Is this happening because it is all on the same machine?

Thank you again for any help.

Comment

I assume I have to install Actinic on my web server.
          I don't think you do..... if I am reading the previous posts correctly

you have actinic running on a pc, you then use network settings to tell the pc to upload to the webserver

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
            I don't think you do..... if I am reading the previous posts correctly

you have actinic running on a pc, you then use network settings to tell the pc to upload to the webserver
            Hi Jo

Thank you for your help. I have since installed Actinic on my own machine and now the FTP seems to work.

However I now get the following error instead:

"Unable to move to the cgi-bin directory "/cgi-bin/" on the FTP server.
            The specified directory does not exist or you do not have access to the directory."

This problem seems to be related to the cgi-bin folder on my remote web server. All permissions are correct on my web server (as per the help guide for setting up IIS etc) for the new cgi-folder I have created.
            Thanks again.

Matt

Comment

I have tested perl scripts and they run fine on my web server. I have created the two virtual directories (including permissions) exactly as per the user guide in my IIS, and also in Windows Explorer on my remote web server. Here are the network settings that I used in the Actinic s/w on my machine:

Catalog URL: http://www.mysite.com/acatalog/
              CGI-BIN URL: http://www.mysite.com/cgi-bin/
              Codebase: ./
              Path from CGI-BIN to acatalog directory: ../acatalog/

All settings in the "Common Settings" area are left as default with the exception of the following:

Web Site URL: http://www.mysite.com/

I have entered the correct FTP Details for server host, username and password. For the following field I entered:

Path to CGI-BIN: /cgi-bin/

I left the next field blank (Path from CGI-BIN to acatalog Directory as Viewed by the FTP Server) as it says not to fill it in unless otherwise advised.

I then filled out the email settings for my SMTP server.

Does anyone know what could be causing this error. I have done a search and cannot seem to find the answer to this problem.

Thank you for any help.

To recap this is the error message I receive when I click Test:
              "Unable to move to the cgi-bin directory "/cgi-bin/" on the FTP server.
              The specified directory does not exist or you do not have access to the directory."

Comment

Problem solved - the FTP path to CGI-BIN folder was incorrect. This now works! So I am getting there.

The FTP path is "/Actinic/cgi-bin". This is a temporary folder on our ftp drive. Any data can now be uploaded to this temporary folder and then I will manually copy the data to the live cgi-bin folder.

However, now I have another error message:

"Actinic is not able to run the CGI scripts on the server. It appears as if the scripts are not installed. The most likely cause is that you have an incorrect CGI-BIN URL. If you've never uploaded the site, then you should do it before a download of orders. If you've uploaded the site ever, then Run Web | Configure Web Site Details... to review your web site configuration."

What does this mean? What scripts are supposed to be installed? I can't upload any scripts. The CGI-BIN URL is correct. I can run perl scripts fine on my web server. Could it be because I am temporarily ftp'ing to a temporary folder first which is not the final live cgi-bin folder?

When I click OK to the error message another message appears:
                "The web server returned error code 404 - Requested URL not found. This means Actinic can not execute the CGI scripts on your web site. Run Web | Configure Web Site Details... to check the web setup."

Thank you for any help.

Comment

Anyone?

Thank you for any help.

Comment

What is the version of your IIS? I ask because I have IIS 6 and I ran into trouble configuring Perl to run on the server. Actinic recommends one way to set up Perl, while the source provider for Perl recommends another way. It worked after I configured it per the source and not Actinic.

Comment

refresh

Maybe a bit of a dumb question - but - did you try a complete site refresh after you sorted out the cgi-bin path issue? Might be worth a try

Andy

Comment

The FTP path is "/Actinic/cgi-bin". This is a temporary folder on our ftp drive. Any data can now be uploaded to this temporary folder and then I will manually copy the data to the live cgi-bin folder.
                        Why are you doing this? Why not upload to the live cgi-bin?

If you aren't uploading to the live bin Actinic will get confused and lose its paths from and to acatalog and cgi. Resulting in the errors you encounter.

I can't help with specific windows issues as I have never configured a windows webserver - I can only help with general problems you seem to be encountering

Comment

Working...
                        X