Clean CSS theme at 800x600 res

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clean CSS theme at 800x600 res

Clean CSS theme has a flaw in as far as it does not work on 800x600 res.

There was several ways to remedy this, but I feel Actinic should correct the underlying code within the theme.

Essentially the problem arises when the right hand column covers the extreme right of the middle column at 800 width.

The left margin is 200 pixels width, the middle column is 500, thus using 700 pixels. on 800 wide res there is only 30 or so pixels left and the right col requires 150.

The right nav is controlled by css and rightly places its self on the right of the screen and uses 150 pixels, thus on certain pages 100 or so pixels to the right of the middle column get obscured.

Hence the view shipping cart page gets part of the table obscured, the bounce page looses in Next button, the product pages loose the add to cart on the first product and there are probably a few other pages with faults too. I haven't fully investigated every page.

And easy fix to the product pages is to change the layout to "CSS product layout", other things to change include amending ACTSTSWIDTH, productlistwidth and sectionlistwidth.

I haven't tested to see if these are all that is required or there is more to search out, but its a start and i hope Actinc will complete the task and repair the theme in a future patch.

OK Jo - I'll take a look at this for a future release. For now, you can always just remove the third column from the HTML and use a single sidebar. That's what we recommended to people in v7 who were using Smart and were concerned about it working on 800x600. I don't think 3 column designs will ever work that well in 800x600 - there's just not enough room to show information meaningfully.

Comment

I can quite happliy get around this error, as I have changed the width of the centre column to % rather than fixed at 500. and used a different layout without the right hand col on checkout/basket pages. (my right col is for bestsellers not navigation, I have added navigation back in as a horizontal bar - you can see how my site http://test.pinbrook.net works in all res)

However to simply remove the right nav is not a realistic kludge as it removes the navigation

My point really is that this theme is not one for inexpereinced HTML users to use, as the fix is not that simple to implement, thus the site does not work.

see http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=24611

which is an example of this theme causing issues.

I just happened to be working on a site using CleanCSS and thus was able to identify the fault

Comment

OK - I'll look at some alternative auto-resizing CSS designs for a future release, and use these instead of the current model.

CSS is rubbish at auto-resizing. It's such a shame tables are out of fashion as these always worked so reliably for this sort of thing.

Comment

After having messed about with all the new v8 themes, cleancss is my favourite.

Why? It has a righthand column for bestsellers etc, I feel this is a common layout request.

the other themes place the bestsellers/new products down the left which if you have long navigation is not the best place for them.

Comment

It's such a shame tables are out of fashion as these always worked so reliably for this sort of thing.
            They are NOT out of fasion in my books, the fact that they are reliable is exactly why I will keep using them untill css works properly.

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb
              I will keep using them until css works properly.
              From viewing the new templates and the underlaying CSS code IMHO the issues are largely down to the themes being created by a number of designers (confirmed by Chris and evident in the notations and units in use) ... even with design notes it is usually always better for one person to complete a single task (such as a theme) ... although I appreciate this is not always possible when programming on the scale of Actinic.

The themes out of the box by-and-large work pretty well but if need to be modified the CSS layouts can be a real pain - tabled themes are much simpler to modify as you can see the cell and adjust it - the code for a CSS "cell" can be coming from a multitude of places and with all the browser issues invloved as well opens a nasty can of worms

Bikster
              SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

opens a nasty can of worms
                And its a rather big can

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb
                  And its a rather big can
                  The can is staying resolutely shut until the new year - hopefully the cold weather (to think straight) and a patch upgrade will put them in their place

Bikster
                  SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Working...
                  X