Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

not a power user, now he is - still can't backup - stupid !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not a power user, now he is - still can't backup - stupid !

Bug - may be its enhanced user functionality, or a feature, whatever it is, it don't work !

I installed v8.0.2 trial onto my clients machine and started to show him how the system (actinic) works.
    when I exited, I showed him "Site Snapshot" and emphasised why.
    problem was, when I pressed the NEXT button, it generated the following error
    not a power user or administrator
    and refused to do the backup.
    Easy, I thought, just make him a "power user" - then tried the backup again - this time:
    Errors
    (File Snapshot.cpp, Line 1087) - Registry error 5, key Software\Actinic\Catalog8\Original\InstallRoot\ - Access is denied.

(File Snapshot.cpp, Line 456) - The initialisation file 'SiteBackup.ini' could not be found

originally not a power user or administrator but is now
    Again, Easy, I thought, upgrade to v8.0.3 - that will re-install and allow him to backup - no no no. . . actinic is still clever enough to know "he wasn't but is now"

so now your'e bewteen one and another - Actinic knows you are NOT a power user, - make him a power user, now actinic knows he was NOT ORIGINALLY a power user BUT IS NOW

either way, you can't do a backup.

so now what !

come on actinic, if you know he wasn't a power user but now is, why not just give him the authority to backup

the question remains - NOW WHAT !

power user
    Whats a power user - sound like something out of Thunderbirds

Comment

anybody that gets an electricity bill I guess

Comment

upgrade to v8.0.3
        The only thing I might suggest is to back up your customer's Site1 folder somewhere safe and then uninstall Actinic and re-install a full version of v8.0.3. You can then license a new site, then close Actinic and then copy the Site1 folder back in. You should then be able to take a snapshot without problems.

Comment

now we're really cheesed off.

I've downloaded the latest version, uninstalled the old version that I could not backup, re-installed the latest v8.0.3 fresh from actinic - start it up - virgin install - exit and the backup errors - "You were not a power user, now you are but tough luck you can't backup"

If I then go and give the user, administration rights, he CAN BACKUP - its getting silly - no standard user should be administrators- thats why we have a special administrator privileges.

Ive now upgraded a novice user from a "standard user" through to a "power user" (should he really be one of those) and now I've made him "an administrator" BEFORE he can backup the database. but he's got FULL power over the PC despite the fact that he's a novice.

Something is WRONG with the actinic installation.
          so now the question is how can I reduce his xp-rights back to at least a "power-user" so that he can backup actinic.

If that needs me to edit the registry, then so be it, Im experienced enough to do this safely - if actinic do NOT want to post how to do this, then send me a personal email.

Actinic MUST change their install procedure and add a large note saying
          ANY user wanting to use actinic MUST be a power-user or administrator - these rights MUST be given BEFORE installing actinic

Comment

Actinic MUST change their install procedure
            I have installed V8 on several PCs now (98, XP, XP Pro) and never had anything like this happen. As you sure that this is not a local issue related to this particular PC.

Comment

regardless of a possible local issue to that PC, the install procedure should "get over it" - actinic CLEARLY know that he wasn't a power user and now he is - it told me so, if they have trapped for it there, it cannot be an isolated problem !

just build something into the install that sorts it out

I understand actinic is big, but its the amount of time you have to spend sorting out a clients machine (unpaid) and actinic already know it sometimes occurs !

miffed, yup

Comment

Working...
              X