Export from v7 & Import to v8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Export from v7 & Import to v8

1. I have a site that was built using v7 and I want to export the store data and then import it into v8. I exported in Hierarchical format (csv), but when I tried to import that file into v8 I got an error:

"There is a syntax error in the Header directive at line7. The error reported is:Invalid record name."

I can't get beyond this point. Im on v 8.0.2 at the moment.

I tried importing the same exported .csv file into v7 and it worked fine - so I'm thinking that suggests the problem is with the importing into V8 rather than the exporting from v7?

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

2. After that failed I tried importing a v7 snapshot into v8 to see how that would work. It seemed to do what it needed to do although it's not what I want in this case because I am redesigning the whole site.

The thing that concerned me was this: I am using v8 Designer and I occasionally do updates for another site and upload those updates from the same computer. When I imported the v7 snapshot it said that the PSP details had changed and that something in the OCCUpgrade folder had been changed.

Both sites use ProTX as the PSP but with different accounts. Although v8 has a separate folder for each site it appears to have only one OCCUpgrade folder. I'm concerned that if I do an update for my other site the PSP details will be wrong. I'm assuming that the OCCUpgrade files will be able to handle multiple sites but I'd like to know what I'm dealing with before I go any further.

Does anyone know about this side of things?
    Actinic Web Design | Actinic Templates

"There is a syntax error in the Header directive at line7. The error reported is:Invalid record name."
    I got exactly the same error message taking a V6 hierarcical export into 8,

as detailed in this post http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=24876

Comment

Hi there

Currently within v8 you cannot import an hierarchical import file, the reason is because the v7 files refer to CUSTOMVARs and template files which are not applicable in v8. There are other incompatible fields. I do know for the forthcoming v8.0.4, there will be a utility which will convert a flat file to an hierarchical file, which may help you.
      What you can do in 8.0.3 is import the content and orders and simply use an v8 theme. This is done by importing the snapshot and selecting these options

Kind Regards
      Nadeem Rasool
      SellerDeck Development

Comment

This amazes me.

We have a v7 store which has a couple of customvars specified with values set in the properties tab of each product (of which there are thousands)

On upgrade to v8.5, the customvar itself is carried across but the values set in every product are invisible in the database and do not show on the products.

Please tell me that this isn't how it's supposed to be?

Please tell me we don't have to re-input all of these again?

Thanks

Jos
        Thanks

Jos Medinger

Tel : 01978 843 962
        www.internetology.co.uk
        Actinic / E-Commerce Hosting, Design & SEO

Comment

Hi Jos,

that site I was working on had a number of custom variables and the client had to re-input all the values after importing the site.

I don't know if anything has changed since then. Probably not what you wanted to hear. Sorry.

Comment

Is this the same for EVERY site upgrading to v8 then ?

Are the values of every single CUSTOMVAR not carried across?

How can this be - it's not like they haven't been written to the database - the customvar itself is carried over into a variable in v8, why therefore can't the values be ported over too?

Please someone at Actinic tell me we haven't got to re-enter many many thousands of customvar values.

Thanks

Jos
            Thanks

Jos Medinger

Tel : 01978 843 962
            www.internetology.co.uk
            Actinic / E-Commerce Hosting, Design & SEO

Comment

After you do the import to v8, select the new variable(s) which replace the old CUSTOMVAR in the Design | Library - Variables tab. Check the place of setting and advanced place of setting, to make sure both include Product.

Now repeat the Snapshot Import into the site in which the correctly scoped variable already exists. [unfortunately, not guaranteed to work every time]
              Bill
              www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
              Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
              BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
              Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
              VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
              Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Have a look at the latest release 8.5.1 - details to be found at http://www.actinic.co.uk/products/changes_v8.htm on which it says:

User-definable variable values can now be imported successfully into Actinic via a hierarchical import

Comment

Working...
                X