Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting the store to communicate with another server

Hi,

I have recently setup an online shop for a client, using Actinic v8. The shop is running fine etc.

My client has now asked me if I can provide a digital download facility for their software to be sold through. Normally this wouldnt be a problem, but the software is individually licenced and needs a unique key to be generated for each copy sold.
    A licence server is already setup and running and is ready to accept certain information, which then returns the unique licence key to the customer via email.

My problem is that I do not know how to get the store to communicate with the licence server in order to get the key generated. Can anyone help (or know of anyone who can!) or do I have to learn ASP or something? The client would be willing to pay to get this sorted!!

many thanks
    Tom Prater

Have you looked at the digital download version of actinic? to see if it helps

Comment

Hi, version 8 already has digital downloads. I can get the programs to be purchased, I need something (a script I guess!) to get my shop to communicate to the licencing server. I really dont know, I'm not that advanced with Actinic or scripting!

Comment

licence server is already setup and running and is ready to accept certain information...
        I think you'd need to expand on that a bit more so we can be of help.
        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Hi,

My client is the european reseller for some pattern making software. The software creators (an american company) want my client to sell this software via their uk online store as a digital download, but the software requires a unique licence key, which can be obtained from the american server by sending it the following details to a certain URL;

CCFirstName=(first/last name from card)
          PS=(sku#)
          CCNum=PREPAID
          Notes=(store#-order#)
          Password=(password)
          Quantity=(quantity)
          Amount=(salePrice)

It should return a license number if it is successful.

What I need to do is to get my Actinic store to send their server these details. I think I need an ASP script to do this, but I really dont know anything about ASP!

Comment

drm and digital download

have you find a solution for your customer ? Hope yes because i need the same for my actinic 8 shop.

Can youanswer please.

Regards

Frederic

Comment

Hi, I havent found a solution yet, does anyone know anyone who could help? I'm willing to pay!

Comment

Hi, would anyone be able to help me with this or point me to someone who may be able to?! Tom

Comment

did you get this sorted?

sounds to me like you need a stand-alone script (probably perl) and a form that the buyer fills out - unfortunately he'd have to enter some info twice suring the order process. the script would go to the license server and send the email to the customer.

further integration into actinic would require parsing the order file to get the information - which i SUPPOSE could be done - and, in that case you would only need a link on the site that says 'get license key' or something to that effect.
                  David Camm
                  President
                  Advanced Web Systems
                  Keller, TX

Comment

It is not beyond possibility to get this working - for which the hardest part would be getting the customer data in a form which you could parse to the third party system - .ord files are encrypted - so maybe duplicate email invoice and the end solution scans for valid products to start the key generation process.

What language are they using on the third party system - as that is a major element in any connection - i.e. State side they use SOAP a lot .

Comment

agreed..... once the DATA is available (what's the password field???) the code should not be difficult.

i doubt that they are using soap - which is not a language but a protocol definition.

the server probably works like a payment gateway - you do a post (or possibly a get) to a url and parse the response. quite simple with perl and the LWP package.

the degree of difficulty writing this piece of code would depend on how the url is actually sent and how complex the response is. sending an email at the end of the process is, of course, trivial, programming-wise.

the trick is figuring out how to get at the data
                      David Camm
                      President
                      Advanced Web Systems
                      Keller, TX

Comment

Working...
                      X