Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When will Actinic play nice with Vista?

Hi guys,

Just wondering when Actinic will play 'nice' with Vista RC1 and above? We're gearing up development now using Vista and the only thing holding us back is Vista's unwillingness to work properly with Actinic (or vice versa).

Designer has major problems in that you cannot license more than one site. Actinic will let you create the sites but when you got to the sites dialog they simply aren't there.

Also, if you don't set Actinic to run 'as administrator' it won't even work.

Small problems but a real pain in the a**e none the less.

18T

The quick workaround is to turn off a Vista feature called User Account Protection.

To turn it off you have to start System Configuration (msconfig.exe) and launch 'Disable UAP' on the tools tab, then restart Vista.

We're looking at other solutions. It seems that a number of software packages have this problem, and we don't encounter it with earlier release candidates of Vista.

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

oddly enough, this is the very first thing I turned off - and guess what... It still doesn't work! I've been through and checked permissions and privileges and I've even forced everything to be Administrator and guess what... It still doesn't work!

I'm guessing that Vista is refusing Actinic the rights to write to specific areas of the registry perhaps?

Interestingly, on first run and opening the Sites dialog, if you create a new site it gets listed immediately along with any others. The problem seems to present itself as soon as you try to actually Activate one then the whole list disappears.

I'm using Visa RC1 Build 5728.

Don't suppose you have any other ideas?

18T

Comment

I take that back about the registry as I can see my new sites I created there - they just don't appear in the sites dialog.

Is there a way to manually (maybe command line) force activation of a new site?

18T

Comment

The work-around was tested and worked on Beta 2, sorry that it didn't work on the release candidate.

We have some suggestions from MS which we are in the process of implementing and testing.

As you can imagine, it's hard to shoot at a moving target - our first testing with an earlier version of Vista had no problems at all, and it's changed at least twice since then.

We hope to have a fix in the next maintenance release, but in the meantime be assured that it is being worked on.

At least there's a final release of Vista announced, so we will have something stable to work with.

Chris

Comment

our first testing with an earlier version of Vista had no problems at all, and it's changed at least twice since then.
            V8 AND Vista - how brave is that

Comment

Tried it on build no.s 5728, 5744 (rc2) and does the same thing.

So, I'm guessing there's quick fix for now perhaps being able to force activate a site for instance via command line...

Being on MSDN I hope to get the RTM build within the next few days or so.

Comment

Whats the mechanical reason why it doesn't work?

Comment

As I understand it (and I'm not the person doing the work), Vista has introduced various new restrictions on what programs can do with the registry and with files, presumably to improve security.

From our research, this has broken loads of other packages too, which is I guess why Vista keeps on changing from release to release.

Like all of these issues, we will come up with a consistent solution after a bit.

Chris

Comment

Yeah, this is exactly as I thought. I also thought manually applying all access rights to specific sections of the registry and files would cure the problem but hey-ho, looks like MS decided to lock it down even further...

Fingers crossed you guys can sort it before release!

Here's hoping.

18T

Comment

Just before I go and re-format and re-install XP, is there any way at all I can force Actinic to switch / activate a site?

Comment

Go to 'Start | Run' and use a command line of the following form:

"C:\Program Files\Actinic v8\Catalog.exe" /s "Site1"

Where "Site1" is the name of the site you want to open.

Comment

Working...
                        X