Ranking question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ranking question

Probably a silly question, but would like to pick brains anyway.

If using new products and/or best sellers on home page in V8 will rankings be affected by daily changes of these items, also what about cached files? If somebody has been on site and then goes back the following day after the best sellers has updated will they get the current page with the latest upload or will it be out of date?

Any idea's????
    www.parklifeclothes.co.uk

Parklife, Whitby

Diesel, Converse, Crocs, Quiksilver, Miss Sixty, Scotch & Soda, Bench, Levi's, Kickers

If using new products and/or best sellers on home page in V8 will rankings be affected by daily changes of these items
    Yes rankings will be affected as google will take into consideration all the text on the page. Initial indications are from the sites I am monitoring is that rankings are generally improved with V8 see http://community.actinic.com/showthr...9&goto=newpost

As for the cached pages it will depend on users browser settings.

Comment

Originally posted by parklifeclothes
      Probably a silly question, but would like to pick brains anyway.

If using new products and/or best sellers on home page in V8 will rankings be affected by daily changes of these items, also what about cached files? If somebody has been on site and then goes back the following day after the best sellers has updated will they get the current page with the latest upload or will it be out of date?

Any idea's????
      Having content regularly changing on a website is in my opinion a plus point not a negative for search engines. I can't see that it would make much difference. Besides i don't think you will have your page indexed each and every day, so many of the changes will be missed.

As for cached pages, i have personally failed to see any pattern in this area. Sometimes you get the updated page and sometimes you don't. I think alot of this is to do with individual settings on a browser and therefore out of your control. I would imagine that most people would get the updated page, but that is just a feeling on what i have seen happen, rather than some fact with justified evidence to back it up.

Comment

Having content regularly changing on a website is in my opinion a plus point not a negative for search engines.
        This is very true and if you have the side bar displays then every page will be updated as best sellers etc change.

I can't see that it would make much difference. Besides i don't think you will have your page indexed each and every day, so many of the changes will be missed.
        It can make a huge difference if you are conducting an agressive SEO plan - each page will be highly tuned for a specific word/phrase and the constant changing of the page content will render the work useless. Any ranking tracking system will also have to me monitored more carefully to pickup any ranking changes. I started a thread about this back in July to clarify with chris exactly what happened with the way this feature worked. You need to consider exactly how you plan to market your site when you use all these extra features.

Its extra work but the indications I have so far show that the best sellers etc are increasing page views significantly so you may loose a few visitors but the ones that get there are looking at more and buying more.

Comment

Can i ask something here as its always nice to pick the brains of someone qualified to speak on Google.

If the pages are geared towards advertising the products that come up in these areas, i can understand that this could be affected as the overall weight towards the product would be somewhat reduced etc.

However, if the page is pretty much static apart from these areas and not geared towards anything specific, would it be right that there would be little if any effect? to G. it would be just be a content change and no real effect.

In essence this section is there for users and to increase sales and not for search engines. If the page is changed daily and geared to reflect these products, then would we have a case of what we lose in one hand we lose in another. I.e. Product A & B were in the list and the page was geared towards those, however now its C & D and the page is geared towards those. So what we lost by changing A & B, we gained by introducing C & D?

When we set up a page especially a home page to aim at just a few key phrases, it seems quite difficult to also gear this towards a certain product. i.e. if i sell cars and "second hand cars" is my business, and i have 2 cars for sale today. Although these fall under the bracket of second hand cars, there is only an indirect correlation between the two. The only consistent part that links the two is the word "car". As this car could be any make, how does the make or manufacturer really have any weight on this?

Comment

Using the side bars needs some very careful thought and planning to make the most of their usefulness in terms of SEO and the person giving you their hard earned cash. Whilst changing these on a daily basis would a good thing to keep google et al seeing it as an alive site would it really boost the rankings?

Isn't there a hack in the design guide to prevent the site reloading with the best sellers? Not read it since August

Bikster
            SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

However, if the page is pretty much static apart from these areas and not geared towards anything specific, would it be right that there would be little if any effect? to G. it would be just be a content change and no real effect.
              If the page is not geared towards anything specific then there are no worries as you would not be concerned with the ranking google gives it. Any content change can affect the ranking, even the possitioning of keywords can make a difference so adding large chunks of non related text at random will have a large effect.

In essence this section is there for users and to increase sales and not for search engines. If the page is changed daily and geared to reflect these products, then would we have a case of what we lose in one hand we lose in another. I.e. Product A & B were in the list and the page was geared towards those, however now its C & D and the page is geared towards those. So what we lost by changing A & B, we gained by introducing C & D
              ?

You should always build a site for users but sometimes if you are working with a competitive keyword you need to build for the SE as well.

When we set up a page especially a home page to aim at just a few key phrases, it seems quite difficult to also gear this towards a certain product.
              Your homepage is possibly the least important page on your site. You are correct, you cannot optimise it for more than one phrase. This is where single product per page comes in and you produce a single page for each on your products. This is geared to rank well on google etc the homepage is really used to be your shop window where you can put special offers etc and keep it fresh for frequent visitors. Your product pages are the shelves in the main shop.

Comment

Isn't there a hack in the design guide to prevent the site reloading with the best sellers
                Yes there is - so you can upload them and see what effect they have over time on rankings. You can also set them manually so you can optimise things that way as well - measure the effect on google and optimise a page.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Thanks for all your help and info, I wasn't sure if suddenly my rankings would drop if my 6 best sellers changed from 1 day to the next as there is a possibility that the items description (that is also displayed in the best sellers list) could contain upto or even more than 12 brand words and I thought search engines were geared towards a maximum but not excessive amount of brand/product wording.
                    www.parklifeclothes.co.uk

Parklife, Whitby

Diesel, Converse, Crocs, Quiksilver, Miss Sixty, Scotch & Soda, Bench, Levi's, Kickers

Comment

Working...
                    X