Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

adding a variable problem please help (changing the name on a button or tag)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adding a variable problem please help (changing the name on a button or tag)

Hello everyone

Hi i want to add a new variable or change an existing one.

Adding a new variable is simple enough but when i insert the new one i have created, it doesnt show, in other words its there but i cant see the actual wording within the button.

For example one of the tabs/buttons at the top of my page says search i want to change the text to say search for products. So i created a new variable as follows SearchForProductsText I made sure as far as i am aware that all the descriptions etc.. are correct.

If i simple try to edit the exisiting variable title by changing the wording from search, to search for product for example, it wont let me save the new configuration telling me the following: You cannot rename the variable as it is being used in the layout you must remove the variable from all the pages using this layout, then rename it

This is where i get stuck so can anyone help

Welcome Keith.

It's not the name of the Variable that you should be changing but the Value. Make sure you have something in Top Level Value. The Name, Description and Prompt fields are for the store developer; they don't appear on the website.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Norman

Ill take a look and see what i can do.

Comment

Changed the top level value but not working

Ok i went into Design/library clicked on variables tab scrolled down to the "SeachText" icon clicked on it and up popped a box with various descriptions and tick box options etc..

At the bottom it says "initial value" and "top level value". So i chanded the wording from top level value to "Search for Products". Saved this but stiil no changes took place when viewing my site. I did notice at the top there are 3 tabs ; Basic defanition : Value : and advanced place of setting. I thought i would need to access the "Value" tab but its high lighted in light grey and cannot be accessed. ?? so i presume it cant be this.

Conclusion is i must have done something wrong or i have not understood what was explained

Any advise most appreciated.

I sure there is a very simply of changing the word "search" to some other name. in my case "search for products"

I think i might be missing something here im sure.

Thanks Keith

Comment

OK. I understand now. You want to change the value of the existing SearchText variable. Changing it in the Variable definition doesn't work as it's being overriden by the value in Settings / Site Options / Links / Site / Description of Search Icon. Change it there and all will be well.
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Works a treat now

Thanks a million Norman.

Its was so simply to do, After searching forum etc.. it turned out to as easy as that.

Thanks again

Keith

Comment

Working...
            X