Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! ActinicCatalog.mdb Constantly crashes after location change

Hello All,

I had been adding locations to actinic version 8.0.0.0.0. I was following the directions to the letter and going very slowly...

Everything worked fine as I needed to delete all of the locations except for the ones I was going to deliver to. some of the locations I needed to change the name and this did not present a problem either.

At this point, there is no problems with the program as I can open and close the program fine.

A few weeks went on as I was using the program...THEN I needed to delete a location AS we no longer shipped to this location...

I went to locations and deleted the location that we were never going to use again...and saved and closed out of the program...

now whenever I start the program it *almost* fully loads but then crashes WITHOUT any error displayed and I cannot restart the program.

I placed access 2003 on my PC but before I start goofing with anything I wanted to get some feedback on a quick solution.

I am NOT that great at all with Access anyway so any laymans solution to this problem would be appricated.

Thanks

Allsteel

Do you have a snapshot of when it was working ok?

When you loaded Access did you also open the Actinic database and upgrade it?

Comment

Thank you for your quick reply...

I did NOT create a snapshot when it was working because I did not think it was a neccesary thing with atinic.

I have NEVER opened access yet since installing it because I didnt want to mess around with something I knew nothing about and make things worse.

My knowledge of access is a novice level.

Thanks

Allsteel

Comment

Firstly, any digital data that you have which you would class as incredibly inconvenient if you lost for good, should be backed up, that's a standard everyday thing, not exclusive to Actinic.

Anyway, let's not harbour on that as that will solve nothing, it could end up as a painful lesson learnt though.

I had a similar issue with Actinic which was down to a layout i had trashed, everytime i tried to open the software it crashed just as you thought it was going to be ok. I found this due to me having been in the design view the last time i had closed it down. Everytime i tried to reopen, it would be on the design view and would throw a wobbler. Whether by luck or judgment as it was trying to load i managed to switch to the content tree (during the grind) and then had some control and could change the layout back to what it was.

Im presuming your situation isnt linked to a design change as you said you only deleted a shipping region. It could be a corrupt database that has to be started all over again is the worst scenario. However, you may find that Actinic themselves can sort this for you. Do you have a support package?

If you have little access experience, it would be difficult to direct you on what to try, i would advise seeing if you can actually open the database in access, do not upgrade it or touch anything, just merely try to open it.

Let us know if that is successful.

Comment

Maybe I should add that I Back up ALL of my digital data on ALL my drives on LTO tapes every night going back a month. I just didnt use the "in program snapshot" to backup the database.

Whenever I "recall" any previous Backup of ActinicCatalog.mdb from ANY backup day, I still have the crash problem ...even if it is a database backup from BEFORE I tried to delete a location and start this mess in the first place.
          ....if that makes any sense.

Just as long as I DONT edit any locations (but i need to) I can use saved backup ActinicCatalog.mdb from previous day(s)

yes, ActinicCatalog.mdb opens fine in access 2003. and I can edit and save the counries and the states tables and save them with no problem....but actinic still wont open if I do.

No this is not design related....I am already familiar with repairing "those" problems...

Thank you much for your input and time.

Comment

If you had used the in programme snapshot, then your siolution would be much more simple.

You need that snapshot, so load a backup mdb which will allow Actinic to open and make a snapshot before you do anything else.

Upgrade to v8.0.3 which contains fixes on many of the identified bugs - if the install is unable to upgrade your existing v8.0.0 site, then do a clean install of v8.0.3 and import the snapshot.

If that also fails, then you have to start again from scratch.

To stop shipping to somewhere, there is no need to touch the locations. Remove the location from your shipping and tax zones, and ensure you have a tick in the box that says if shipping is not defined - do not allow shipping.
            Bill
            www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
            Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
            BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
            Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
            VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
            Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

The only other thing i can suggest is trying a clean actinic install on a different pc. Import a snapshot and see if it is the same. Its pointing to a software conflict of some kind if that is all that triggers it, however these things are always a nightmare to pinpoint. Its a case of just going through everything anybody else has ever done in this situation with all extremeties crossed.

Comment

Working...
              X